It's nice to know someone who welds

Started by Tom G P 21, Apr 22, 2023, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom G P 21

So when I pulled my boat last year I noticed the rudder head was cracked along the weld. Here are the before and after photos. He welded a section of angle along each edge. I can't remember who it was who showed a photo of their repair, it was in the old website, but thanks to whoever did. Cost, a nice bottle of scotch, worth every penny.
Before
You cannot view this attachment.
After

Riggerdood

Tom, there are four people you need in life: a good doctor, a good lawyer, a good accountant, and a good welder!

But seriously, that looks bulletproof. Rum Line's rudder head looks exactly like that, and ever since that first post, I've been keeping a close eye on it. Now I see the kind of repair it'll need if it ever cracks like that.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Macsp21

This needs to be checked after each season or maybe more often,your pic shows extreem separation  now the welds look good, there is allot of stress on those welded areas. had mine welded twice first time the welder tacked it but it cracked again second time he beefed up the welds.checked it shes ready for another season hoping to get my 21 afloat in two weeks. My boats 20 years old this year the black anodizes aluminum rudder cheek was looking shabby so i painted it white to match the hull still look good,

Tom G P 21

A couple things; first, mine is an 88 so it was over 30 years old. Also, I keep my boat on a mooring and a couple of years ago I changed clubs and moved to a more exposed location. I think the constant pounding, especially during storms, contributed to the failure.

MeWoods

Mine is a mess also! I'm super tempted (planning to) to build a one piece carbon fiber rudder and head once other projects are taken care of. I sail in deep water always.

Brian N.

Aluminum + saltwater + time + stress = corrosion and possible failure. Hopefully the weld will hold up for another 20+ years. Interesting is the idea of a carbon fiber rudder head. I would probably look into a stainless steel one as well, but the stainless alloy has to match the marine environment.
Fair winds
Brian N.

MeWoods

Previous owner had someone add reinforcement to my rudderhead. It still failed.

Quantico Frank

Found a guy last Friday who welds all types of SS including 316, aluminum, and TITANIUM, if you please! His day job is welding in the medical industry. I don't have him on speed dial, exactly, but I will NOT misplace that number.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Riggerdood

Good number to have for sure Frank! Hey, does titanium corrode in saltwater? Hmmm ... ;~P
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand