News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Hello! Advice?

Started by Biosci777, Sep 03, 2023, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biosci777

Quote from: Captain Kidd on Sep 05, 2023, 09:01 AMTo save money I made my own sails from Sailrite kits. I've also bought used sails on EBay.

Regarding mast raising, I needed poles and mechanical advantage on my Macgregor 26 and Kells 23. On my Hunter 18.5 I can raise it from the cabin top without aides.

Sailrite kits?  I'll have to look into that!  Finding used sails for a less common boat can be very difficult.
I had a Chrysler 20 once; the mast was very heavy, and setup/takedown was tough, though I was young.  I definitely plan to employ mechanical aid if I get anything difficult to handle by myself.

Biosci777

Quote from: Brian N. on Sep 04, 2023, 11:13 PMBiosci - The boats that you have in mind are all good boats, but check out any prospects very carefully for hull integrity. Lines, rigging and blocks may need replacing; sails can be hundreds of $$ to thousands $$$$ so factor that in as well. A "dirty" boat may be a neglected boat, and I would shy away. Cracks in the Hunter are a known problem, and Hunter abandoned that construction. An observation about set up: I'm 66 YO and have a Precision 165 which is smaller than what you are considering. Set up and launch takes about 45 minutes when I'm alone. The mast and rigging on the 16.5 foot Precision is a lot lighter and easier than on a 20 foot boat (personal experience). So what I am saying is factor in your age, physical condition, and time at the ramp. Some boats are more difficult to set up than others and may require winches, poles, guys aside from the usual mast crutch. Good luck to you.

Brian, thank you for the advice.  I appreciate everyone's input -- that's why I came here.  If I get one of these, I will let y'all know how it goes.  Otherwise I may save my pennies for something less of a project (and smaller!).

Travis Chapman

Similar response to everyone so far. First, a hearty welcome and thanks for getting folks going on a favorite topic: boat selection.  8)

After downsizing from a Tartan 37 liveaboard, I've had two sets of experiences. At first I wanted a big trailerable for potential long coastal cruises. I owned both an Aquarius 23 and Balboa 23 (same make). Towed with a Sierra 1500 and an hour to rig on both sides, and for me it was always hard work. Needed tackle to manage the mast, etc.

I bought a Windrose 18 in 2019 to downsize again. Towed fine with my Ford Escape and now a Nissan Frontier. Rigs in under 45 minutes up, 30 minutes down. Not as challenging to manage everything for the size. While I'm a project lover, the ownership costs have been less: smaller kit, smaller fittings, etc.

My goal was a cabin cruiser for overnight capability on our lakes and the Chesapeake Bay. I could stretch further in the zombie apocalypse, but if that comes I'll just upgrade.

It was surprisingly hard to find a sub-20 foot cabin'd sailboat in my area at the time, but I was able to get it under $1k. Don't ask how many bags of coins I'm down....

=============
SV Panda Paws
Windrose 18
Lynchburg, VA

Biosci777

Thanks for the reply, Travis!  I'm here for the stories about your sailboats!  I am hearing a consensus:  smaller is easier, and easier is more fun.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

I might seriously consider starting your journey back to sailing with something smaller than you think you want now.  Just to make it, as you said, easier. 

Biosci777

Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Sep 06, 2023, 07:54 PMI might seriously consider starting your journey back to sailing with something smaller than you think you want now.  Just to make it, as you said, easier. 

Yes, and I have considered buying something like a Mutineer, just to get back on the water.  I am asking myself, and I need to answer:  do I want to sail, or do I just want to own a boat?

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Quote from: Biosci777 on Sep 06, 2023, 11:04 PMI am asking myself, and I need to answer:  do I want to sail, or do I just want to own a boat?

Well, also, do you want to be able to take someone along?  How long do you want to be out (a day, a weekend, a week)?  Where do you want to sail (close to land, out onto the blue)?  Are you more into comfort or more into speed? Do you prefer great weather, or like the challenge of challenging weather?

All the questions.

Doug SC

I have 3 sailboats. A Potter 19 that has a cabin and my wife likes it best. A wayfarer 16 that's lots of fun. A Scamp which is just shy of 12' which I have been sailing a lot lately. the Wayfarer 16 is the lightest and easiest to set up, but the Scamp is a close second. Most of my sailing is lake sailing, but all 3 can handle the salt.