News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Jib Sheet Block/Car

Started by DBthal, Apr 15, 2023, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBthal

You cannot view this attachment.

I was deep into boat work today, when I glanced over and looked at my jib car. It looks like they are mounted backwards with the adjustment knob facing forward rather than aft closer to the cockpit.

Just saw Straander's post and his look like they are set up the correct way. Shouldn't the adjustment knob be facing aft?

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Tom G P 21

Yes that is what I thought, that it should be aft. You want to be able to reach it mostly from the cockpit and not have to reach over the pulleys. I am to busy looking at the nice hatch rails. Mine are broken old grey teak ones.

Quantico Frank

Quote from: DBthal on Apr 15, 2023, 05:58 PMYou cannot view this attachment.

I was deep into boat work today, when I glanced over and looked at my jib car. It looks like they are mounted backwards with the adjustment knob facing forward rather than aft closer to the cockpit.

Just saw Straander's post and his look like they are set up the correct way. Shouldn't the adjustment knob be facing aft?

Dan

Mine are facing forward, Dan. Are we both backwards?
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Brian N.

Nope, just went outside to check. Adjustment pin is aft.  My boat is a 2008, if that makes any difference.
Fair winds
Brian N.

DBthal

I wonder if the jib sheet would chafe on the adjustment knob if it was between the pulley & cam cleat.

I'm way overthinking this!
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Riggerdood

Good eye Dan. Rum Line's are aft facing, but the sheets take a little bit of an upwards angle towards the winches, so no chafe on the knobs. I know, different boat, but just a point of reference.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

johnandcandace

Our jib cars are set up the same way as your photo, with the plunger forward. Our boat is a 2013 Precision 18, whose one previous owner was not a sailor that would have tinkered with the factory setting. Perhaps the orientation is intentional so the sheet, coming straight back to the cleat will not ride over the plunger. Looking thru online photos, I saw several other P18s with the same jib car set up as your photo, plunger forward. 

Brian N.

A "fix" might be as easy as removing the end piece, just one screw. Now the question is which is the right orientation (if it matters at all)?
Fair winds
Brian N.

Straander

I briefly turned mine around just so i could get the jibsheet block a little bit further aft (which i only needed because of my enlarged jib). But ultimately decided i needed the plunger aft so i could access it easier for on the water adjustments.
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Straander

That is correct. Very easy to swap then around but be warned the plastic endpiece on mine was very sun brittled and they both broke apart on the second installation.

Quote from: Brian N. on Apr 16, 2023, 04:14 PMA "fix" might be as easy as removing the end piece, just one screw. Now the question is which is the right orientation (if it matters at all)?

Straander

There is quite a bit of clearance as you can see in this photo.

Quote from: DBthal on Apr 15, 2023, 08:54 PMI wonder if the jib sheet would chafe on the adjustment knob if it was between the pulley & cam cleat.

I'm way overthinking this!

Tom G P 21

So I took a quick look at "The Book" but unfortunately I couldn't tell how it was set up on Tom's boat.

Brian S

I just installed new Nautos track and cars on my O'day 192. The cars have arrows and "Bow" printed on the sides which indicate the adjustment pins go forward. I suppose this makes sense, because the sheet goes up from the car to the clew of the sail, giving some room underneath, and go aft of the car to cleats, giving little room underneath. Also, the blocks are mounted into the car such that they angle backwards a bit, accommodating the sheet angle up to the clew. In a way, I wanted the pins to be aft, so I guess I don't have to reach quite as far forward? I guess? Haven't used them yet, but also, I don't think it matters much at all.

Of course, the Nautos are totally different the cars on the P-boats.

You cannot view this attachment.

DBthal

Thanks Brian-interesting!  I left my jib cars as they were with pins forward. As you said, it probably doesn't make much difference.
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"