News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Local knowledge - sailing geography

Started by Mary Lou, Apr 16, 2023, 11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Lou

Wouldn't it make sense to have the Northeast be NY to Maine and carve out a new Mid-Atlantic forum to include NJ,  PA, DE,  MD, and VA?  This would put the whole Chesapeake in one area as well as the adjacent states which are almost local to trailer sailors from the Chesapeake states.

Thanks for considering and thanks for our new home.

CapnK

Hi Mary Lou - I could see that, and if enough folks want it enough to ask for it, we can do it - though I would like to avoid too much granulation in that part of the Forum. To a large degree, it will depend on how many folks contribute to those boards.

As it is, I decided that areas with more population and/or more launch spots should be smaller geographical divisions, as they would likely have more posts than the larger areas which are sparsely inhabited (relatively and generally).

A stated before, it is possible to make a board per State - but I think it would be a lot better if we just agreed on a common Post Title format of something like "State - Region - Lake/Ramp/etc name", such as "SC - Central - Lake Murray, Oxbow Ramp" or "SC - Coastal - Georgetown area". A Search would turn up good, local info very quickly that way, even with my imperfect Balkanization of our fine Nation.

---

As an insight into my reasoning behind the general map, and specifically in this post East Coast areas as chosen, to me the Chesapeake is a rough but easily identifiable 1/2 point up/down the east side of US.

For instance, coming up from SC to the Chessie for a sail, the Chessie is itself a pretty large geographical barrier.
If I want to go to the S side, it can be as short as a 5 hour trip until I can splash the boat. If I want to go to the N side though, I'll have to either brave the DC Beltway (YUK, in every sense...) or swing far off of 'fast' roads through the countryside to get to the Bay Bridge and then up into MD - and either option makes travel time 2-3+ hours longer. Same thing, if from N of there and going down to sail on the south side.

I prefer to have less or easier 'trailering', for more 'sailoring'. :D

Below shows how I split up the "Trailer Sailor States of America (or, TSSA ;) ) graphically. Y'all will have to imagine in the various mountain ranges, deserts, river/bays or other geological features which I'm guessing might funnel trailer boat traffic one way or another.

If enough of you want a change, this is not set in stone, but also - if it ain't really broke, do we really need to fix it?

You cannot view this attachment.

"Perfection is the Enemy of Good Enough"

- Voltaire

If enough folks think a change is necessary, y'all let me know. I'll be standing by...