Saving My WWP 14

Started by SantaCruzin, May 16, 2023, 05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SantaCruzin

Howdy!

I bought my 1968 West Wight Potter 14 (Hull number 222) back in 2017 and absolutely fell in love. I took it out in the Monterey Bay (out of the Santa Cruz Harbor) all through 2017 and early 2018. Then...my daughter was born in May of 2018. Time became a challenge so I put the ol' girl under cover for the last 5 years. By under cover, I mean it was in a carport on my property in Santa Cruz. It did not get any direct rain on it, but I'm starting to think that the ambient moisture was just too much.

In any case, she's coming out of hibernation and I'm getting to work on repainting the hull, deck, and refinishing the cabin. Most of the work I feel fairly comfortable in handling, but there are two problem areas that are concerning me.
1. The deck and cockpit have a few spots which feel a bit soft and "Crackly." It's not moisture (that I can tell) but it seems almost as though there is some delamination happening. I can see this most clearly on the deck above the cabin where there appears to be a thin layer of plywood adhered to the ceiling of the cabin which has a bit of give when I press on the deck. Is this a concern? If so, any thoughts on how to address this?
2. Perhaps more concerning is the transom where I just uncovered some very wet wood. As you can see in the photos, there are a few spots of rot. It looks like it is around the drain hole in the back of the boat, but I can't say that for sure. Any thoughts on addressing this to prevent it's spread?

I have high hopes for sailing this summer with my 5 and 3 year old kiddos at some mountain lakes...and maybe a bit out in the Bay as well. I've got some paint and marine wood epoxy on the way, and already let the wife know I'll need a few free nights to get to work over the coming weeks.

Any guidance is very much appreciated! Photo of the little lass for fun.
1968 West Wight Potter 14 #222
1966(?) Mirror Dinghy #5914

SantaCruzin

Ah, and random fun fact. My boat is in the top right on the "Potter Yachters" homepage. That was post paint (not done by me) and before "222" was added to the sail, but the CF number and sail look correct otherwise. If anyone has information on the boats history, that would be awesome. I bought it from a younger guy in Oakley.

Bud

I also have a 1968 P14. It is a little older than yours # 198. Fortunately, I don't have any rot that I am aware of, There are some folks in the Potter Yachters that can help you. Maybe one or more of them will chime in.
Good luck with your boat. Maybe we will see you on one of the Potter sails.

SantaCruzin

Quote from: Bud on May 16, 2023, 06:58 PMI also have a 1968 P14. It is a little older than yours # 198. Fortunately, I don't have any rot that I am aware of, There are some folks in the Potter Yachters that can help you. Maybe one or more of them will chime in.
Good luck with your boat. Maybe we will see you on one of the Potter sails.

Cheers Bud! Glad to hear there's more 14's around! I recently found a guy with the original sails, mast, and rigging for sale but he's not local. Trying to see if there's anyway to get it out my way.

I definitely hope to make it out to a sail sooner than later. I was a member for a few years (2017-2019) but when I just wasn't getting out on the water, I figured I'd wait until I knew I'd be able to come back out.