Help me ID this sailboat wreck on Bull Island, SC

Started by Doug SC, Feb 11, 2023, 01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug SC

We have been planning a Kayak trip to camp on a barrier island since the first of this year. We want the tides for the outbound trip and the return to be in our favor. So, we plan around those dates. We have already canceled twice due to high winds and rain. Though the weather this past week was marginal we decided to go to the coast a couple days early to do a bit of local paddling while waiting on the fourth member of the group to join up when he could get off work.

The forecast took a turned for the worse with Gale warnings for our return and the wind would be against the tide. So, we paddled out to Bull Island for an all-day trip. it is about an 11-mile paddle round trip with about half through the spartina marsh and the other half a two-mile open water crossing. We went out on the ebb tide with the wind somewhat behind us on our starboard quarter. Our return of necessity would be against the last 2 hour of the ebb and the wind would be quartering on the port bow.

We ate lunch and walked the shell line around the north point heading to the tree bone yard on the beach when we came across this sailboat wreck in the sand. here are photos of the trip and the wreck. The boat was about a 30-footer and the cabin top seems to be rusty though I didn't actually check to see if it was steel. Sure would like an ID of the make and model. Anu info on the wreck would be great. I have a screen shot from Google earth of the boat while the mast was still standing. I think it was taken inYou cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.            January of 2021

Doug SC

Looks like I need to get better with doing my photo attachments. ::) 

Charles Brennan

Doug, Now you understand why those line spaces above all my pics, are there!  ;D
In fact, when I'm posting something I usually put one or two hard carriage returns above and below a pic, in case I want to add a comment and then clean it up by deleting blank lines, when I'm just about ready to post.

Hope this helps,
Charles Brennan

Doug SC

Thanks for that. I suspect many like me will need a bit of time to learn the new site.

Doug SC

A few more photos and another attempt.

Marsh creek near spoil islands along the ICW.

You cannot view this attachment.

Crossing the ICW before the winds picked up that morning.

Mother and child.

The shell line.

The wreck.

Bulls Bay

Moon rises over the ICW from Buck Hall.

Tim West Coast

Quote from: Charles Brennan on Feb 11, 2023, 02:59 PMDoug, Now you understand why those line spaces above all my pics, are there!  ;D
In fact, when I'm posting something I usually put one or two hard carriage returns above and below a pic, in case I want to add a comment and then clean it up by deleting blank lines, when I'm just about ready to post.

Hope this helps,
Charles Brennan

Lol "hard carriage returns" likely that a few here don't have a clue to what you mean.

Doug SC

I knew what it meant. I guess that dates me and you and quite a few of us here too. ;D

Norm L.

Charles was actually refering to the time he had a hard carriage return trying to return a Hackney phaeton to Messrs Hertz, LTD on the high street Puddlington-on-the-Green, Essex when he was there installing the first Marconi antenna in the shire.

Charles Brennan

Go ahead and LAUGH, guys!!
I actually have a keyboard that says "return" instead of "enter". Had to modify key assignments for AT keyboard scanning standards.
Loved that keyboard.
And if you want more "back in the day" references, I was actually referring to Unix vi references to hard vs soft returns in HTML. So, HAH!!  ;D

Hope this clarifies,
Charles Brennan

Roland of Macatawa

Doesn't the ASCII code still refer to it as "CR"?
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

Charles Brennan

It does indeed!!
Good call, Roland! :)

Charles Brennan

Wayne Howard

Isn't that wreck an "Island Packed In"?

OK, I'll return to my corner.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Doug SC

I had wondered if it might have buried treasure inside...  :-\ :D

firefly2

Great project boat! A little elbow grease and that'll buff right out.

NickScheuer

Can you dig a hole by the transom and give us the hull number?  ;D