If you don't the frequent the FB Group: P18 that sunk will not be recovered.

Started by tjspiel, Jun 06, 2023, 04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

The owner just posted today. He decided it wasn't worth trying to recover it.

The mast was sticking out of the water so he and a buddy cut the forestay and weighted the top of the mast so it would drop down onto the stern. Highest part of the boat is now 17 ft down.

Apparently he got permission from the NC DNR to leave it.

Pretty sure if my boat sunk in the lake I'd be required to get it out but who knows.

Brian N.

I read the post and was surprised that recovery was not worth it and that he seemingly had the OK. The hull was not breached and he knew the exact location, with the rig intact. Perhaps he suspected damage when it hit bottom. I don't know the cost of salvage, but my guess it was beyond his threshold. Around here, I seriously doubt that sinking a boat in just 17 feet of water would be approved. I bet if he asked around a local diver could have assessed any damage. 

A friend purchased a boat that had sunk at its mooring (salt water).  Except for replacement of a few electronics, oil and grease. drying out cushions and cleaning sails and removal of sand the boat is in great shape. Even his engine survived. State and local laws may be different, but can anyone now salvage the boat and legally own it?
Fair winds
Brian N.

tjspiel

Quote from: Brian N. on Jun 06, 2023, 05:36 PMI read the post and was surprised that recovery was not worth it and that he seemingly had the OK. The hull was not breached and he knew the exact location, with the rig intact. Perhaps he suspected damage when it hit bottom. I don't know the cost of salvage, but my guess it was beyond his threshold. Around here, I seriously doubt that sinking a boat in just 17 feet of water would be approved. I bet if he asked around a local diver could have assessed any damage. 

A friend purchased a boat that had sunk at its mooring (salt water).  Except for replacement of a few electronics, oil and grease. drying out cushions and cleaning sails and removal of sand the boat is in great shape. Even his engine survived. State and local laws may be different, but can anyone now salvage the boat and legally own it?

The bottom is less than 30 ft down so I can't imagine it hit that hard but that's just a guess. And I don't know if the bottom is rocky, sandy, muddy, or what.

It sounds like he did have a potential diver lined up but I can see where a recovery operation could get expensive pretty quick.

https://improvesailing.com/tips/the-average-recovery-cost-of-a-sunken-boat

I too believe that the boat is probably salvageable but it's been underwater for several weeks now, so it's going to be a bit of a mess. You may never be able to get the sails clean so add that to the cost of the salvage unless you want the constant reminder of what happened every time you sail it.

I wonder what would have happened if he would have simply given it away, - offer it for free to anyone who had a credible plan to re-float it.

Riggerdood

I saw that post today Tom, and I did not reply because I did not have anything nice to say. When it first sank, I made sure I did not shame him in any way, and encouraged him to float the boat and save it. IMO, scuttling it was an unbelievably irresponsible thing to do, and I was livid when I read that's what he did. Yes, salvage is expensive, put the price you pay when you make a mess and have to clean it up, regardless of what condition the boat is currently in.

OK, rant over ...
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

tjspiel

Quote from: Riggerdood on Jun 06, 2023, 10:23 PMI saw that post today Tom, and I did not reply because I did not have anything nice to say. When it first sank, I made sure I did not shame him in any way, and encouraged him to float the boat and save it. IMO, scuttling it was an unbelievably irresponsible thing to do, and I was livid when I read that's what he did. Yes, salvage is expensive, put the price you pay when you make a mess and have to clean it up, regardless of what condition the boat is currently in.

OK, rant over ...

I find it a little hard to believe that the state DNR gave the thumbs up to the idea of leaving it there but they allowed to sit there with the mast sticking out of the water for over a month. It had to be a hazard, especially at night.

If my boat were to sink I'm sure I'd be given a certain amount of time to get it out of there and if I didn't meet the timeline they'd hire somebody themselves, send me a very large bill, and maybe a fine to boot.

It's still a hazard for anyone throwing out an anchor in that part of the river. Lots of things on a boat for it to get snagged on.

Straander

So glad for my P165's positive floatation after hearing this boat's story~
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

tjspiel

Quote from: Straander on Jun 07, 2023, 12:03 PMSo glad for my P165's positive floatation after hearing this boat's story~

Yes, that's a definite plus for the 165 but better still would be to have the boat reliably self-right after a knockdown instead of staying on its side and filling with water.

And I suppose that P18s have been knocked down any number of times since the mid 80's and successfully self righted so maybe it's not something to worry that much about. But there are now at least two cases where they didn't.

Brian N.

The P165 does have floatation, but as I understand, it will be swamped up to the rails, and float even with the surface. Of course then it is just a matter of pumping it out. To my knowledge there has not been a sinking of a P165. I'm still so surprised that it was not worth the effort to raise a boat from 17 feet under. And as mentioned by Tim, somewhat irresponsible. If it were a navigable channel, the State or local jurisdiction would raise the boat and send him the bill.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riggerdood

Quote from: tjspiel on Jun 06, 2023, 11:00 PMI find it a little hard to believe that the state DNR gave the thumbs up to the idea of leaving it there but they allowed to sit there with the mast sticking out of the water for over a month. It had to be a hazard, especially at night.

If my boat were to sink I'm sure I'd be given a certain amount of time to get it out of there and if I didn't meet the timeline they'd hire somebody themselves, send me a very large bill, and maybe a fine to boot.

It's still a hazard for anyone throwing out an anchor in that part of the river. Lots of things on a boat for it to get snagged on.
I completely agree with all of the above Tom. He stated in a reply that he had obtained the proper permissions, but I too find that hard to believe.

Riggerdood

Quote from: Brian N. on Jun 07, 2023, 01:11 PMThe P165 does have floatation, but as I understand, it will be swamped up to the rails, and float even with the surface. Of course then it is just a matter of pumping it out. To my knowledge there has not been a sinking of a P165. I'm still so surprised that it was not worth the effort to raise a boat from 17 feet under. And as mentioned by Tim, somewhat irresponsible. If it were a navigable channel, the State or local jurisdiction would raise the boat and send him the bill.
It sank in a very wide river Brian, but I don't know if they were in a marked channel or not. The boat then drifted/was pushed by the current to a shallower area, where the mast was then sticking out of the water.