News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

California Sailing Lakes?

Started by SantaCruzin, Jun 20, 2023, 12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SantaCruzin

Hey all!

Does anyone have any recommendations for good sailing lakes in California? In past boating lives (fishing and watersports) I've camped/boated at a number of them: New Melones, Camanche, Bass Lake, Beardsley Reservoir, Lake Berryessa, Lake Alpine, New Hogan, and Lake Tulloch. However, none of those trips I really ever thought about sailing so I never took much note of the wind.

In an ideal world, it would be a lake which is warm enough for my kids to splash around in, a campsite on/near the water, and not full of boats throwing 6 foot wakes just waiting to swamp our West Wight Potter 14. We were thinking of going to Beardsley this summer, but water temps are still in the low 60s thanks to the incredible snow pack we got this year.
1968 West Wight Potter 14 #222
1966(?) Mirror Dinghy #5914

jbarber

I suggest Spicer reservoir on hwy 4 near bear valley. It's full now and the road is open. It's a 6 mph, no wake lake.  7000' elevation and no services. Bring your own everything.

Woodward reservoir near Oakdale is a good sail in the evenings when the weather cools off from the delta breezes You can camp. Many power boats and people in weekend. Go during the week.
I keep my boat there on a mooring for 3 months in the summer.

Don Pedro is big and it gets windy. There is a marina.

I've sailed new melones near angels camp. Another good lake for sailing,  camping. You can sail at night. Again power boats.