Welcome aboard, everyone!

Started by CapnK, Jan 30, 2023, 11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

I hope you'll enjoy the new cyberramp for the TSBB!  ;D

Tim West Coast

Looks good Capn and so easy for me to adjust to  ;)

Wayne Howard

It's me, Wayne. I got the downhaul!!!!!
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Ed

I tried to put a picture on but was told "Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 128 KB" I think all of my pictures are a couple of MB, looks like CB is going to have conniptions with that.

Doug SC

Ok so far so good since I managed to log in. 8)  Looking forward to the future of the new trailer sailor. I guess I will have to downsize my photos from now on would be nice if the site could do that. 128 IKB is small. ::)

Frank B.

Well I guess this works.  The resize is OK I guess, already have to do that for CPYOA will just use the same picture file.

Charles Brennan

Quote from: Ed on Jan 30, 2023, 03:02 PMI tried to put a picture on but was told "Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 128 KB" I think all of my pictures are a couple of MB, looks like CB is going to have conniptions with that.

Actually CB runs all his Multi-MB pics through an app called Photosizer to make it easier to load lengthy pic/articles and for people viewing on their phones.  For example: The 40+ pics from the St. Pete would take 20 minutes to download in their original format size.
Charles Brennan

Tim West Coast

Charles, you always make it look so easy

Charles Brennan

Quote from: Tim West Coast on Jan 30, 2023, 07:06 PMCharles, you always make it look so easy
Nope.
NOT easy. 4 pics per post and I had 40+ on St.Pete Boat Show report.   All 4 pics can't exceed 192KB and single pic no more than 125KB.
Don't see why we can't move existing TSBB over onto Kurt's servers
Charles Brennan

Doug SC

The photo handling might make me whine a bit. At least until I figure out how to become more efficient in resizing photos. ::)  ;)  ;D 

CapnK

As posted before - we are in the initial stages here, and things will be in flux, and can be adjusted as needed. The Attachment settings are a case in point - those were default settings.
So now I have upped them to 4096KB (or ~4MB) per post (total), 1024 (or ~1MB) as the largest individual or single attachment, and up to 10 attachments per post (i.e. 10 pics at 400KB each, for instance). These numbers can change. We can make them up to just about unlimited, but there would for sure be budgetary concerns at that level.

Yes, it would be possible to just move the TSBB lock, stock and barrel, old insecure php code and all, right over and let 'er dig - but as this Hosting Account is sharing server space with my Paying Customers, that is not a good, nor fair, nor secure way of doing things. Also, I am sure that the company which I pay for server space would not appreciate or allow running deprecated code indefinitely. Sooner or later there would be a required upgrade, or a suspension of service, some reason that would require lots of work to fix.
Can't blame them for that.
In addition, it is a custom-coded solution written by a man in Pakistan over 10 years ago. That ain't bad, per se, until you need to fix something, or add/improve something. Now you're digging through all that, trying to figure out what's and where's and why's.. I prefer to spend my time otherwise, with something that we know works, that can be upgraded and kept secure, etc etc...

That said - If someone else wants to take the ball and run with it that way, to keep things just as they are and have been  - just let me know, Phil has done a great job of making that part as easy as it could be, and I'll help him hand it off with what I've learned, if need be.
Otherwise, this is it. I will do my best, am doing my best, to keep a bunch of old friends happy and one of my favorite communities alive.

But you tell me - maybe we should just move the "live" side of things to Facebook; they give it all to you. I can hang onto and host the Archive forever, for anyone who wants to come look through it.

Doug SC

Myself, I think this place is fine, and do appreciate you taking it on. I do like what you have done to increase photo size. Thanks! I wasn't expecting that to happen so soon. Us old farts and gummers seem to hate change. In life the only real constant is change. I promise not to whine too often. ;D 

Judy B

Quote from: CapnK on Jan 31, 2023, 12:00 PM...I can hang onto and host the Archive forever, for anyone who wants to come look through it.
Hello!  Thanks for adopting the TSBB and giving it a new home! this is awesome! 

How do we access the archives? 

Judy B
Judy Blumhorst
San Francisco Bay and Delta, California
2013 Potter 19 modified with bulb keel and bowsprit
1992 Corsair F24 Mk1

CapnK

Thx Doug and Judy -

We'd have more and quicker improvements right now if this was all I had to do. Instead I have been eking moments here and there while slap dab in the middle of 2 commercial web projects which would have be done but are in crunch-time now because of being ill last week. That, and leaving town tomorrow for an annual 4 days retreat. So I'll be doing some of this remotely, from my World HQ Safari van ;) , parked on the edge of a swamp and corn field near Ketchuptown, SC. :D

I will work on getting the Archive up and running next week when back and can be in reliable and convenient communication with Phil. I think he has that about all set up, I need to plug things in and make sure it all works. Once that is working, I think he can toss us off the transom and sail into the sunset! :)

CapnK

Members can now "Like" a post - you'll see a little button at the bottom to do so. I did a couple random test "Likes" above. Enjoy! :)