News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

;D

Started by Riley Smith, Jul 07, 2023, 08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

Take a hot shower. Don't dry off and put your clothes on. Oh, and make sure the thermostat is set to 95F. The humidity will make sure you don't dry at all.  ;D

That's what Mississippi feels like in the summer. I guess some folks wonder why anyone would put up with that and the answers pretty much boil down to fate, I guess. There are perks but that's like anything else, you have to look for them and know what you're seeing when you find them. Some of them aren't so obvious at first.

For instance, daylight and sunset are EXTREMELY nice. Barring bugs and lightning, in the event Mother decides a thunderstorm is JUST the thing. I've always been an early riser because of career, so I get to experience both, when most people only wake up to a blazing laser from the sky and miss the best part. I was lazy this morning and slept in until 5am though. Plans are to raise the mast on the boat and try and resolve rigging issues. Tinker and putter until it gets hot about 10:30.

The gaff is not centered and that little misalignment is adding a leverage component to the whole bit. Chances are I didn't do things as properly as I should have when raising the rig the last time. There's a sequence to getting things set up initially and I may have gotten something out of order. I was racing thunder the last time and yes, felt JUST LIKE I had taken a shower and put on my clothes before I got the boat safely back in the garage. And no, it wasn't rain because I beat it by about 10 minutes. ;D

I dunno about Y'ALL, but I'm having nightmares about my electric bill.

Riley

Riley

Riley Smith

PS. I was glad to see the rain. It's cooler when it rains. I'm hoping the Dog Days daily thunderstorms have arrived. It's like turning on the A/C after one  ;D
Riley

Wayne Howard

Connie and I went to Costa Rica last week for my youngest daughter's destination wedding. It was just like the gulf coast. I sent a text back home. "Eat, sweat, drink. Eat, sweat, drink. Eat, sweat, drink. Shower off sweat. Sleep. Repeat for 6 days."

We got back to Central Texas and the temperature is about the same but the humidity is only half so it's nearly comfortable to sit outside.  ;)
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Riley Smith

During the drought last week when it didn't rain, it got over 100F, so the rain is welcome! Luckily it never made it to Wolf Ridge today. Although we could see there was the most perfect gigantic thunderstorm over Mobile Bay  when we were in town. I've had the sail up half the day tinkering. I've pretty much worked out all the kinks in the rig and changed the boom jaw rigging to give the boom lift line more clearance. The line lifts the boom at the mast to the correct height and was binding on the sail cringles (loops of rope) not allowing me to get the sail as high as I needed. I decided to leave the mast up overnight and make the lift line permanent and adjust the gaff throat line in the cool tomorrow morning. It's very muggy tonight BECAUSE we didn't get a rain and the mosquitoes are bad. Me and Maw went to town and got supplies and collapsed in the A/C when we got home.
Riley