News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Motor Suggestions?

Started by Slip 15, Jul 08, 2023, 04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Dave Scobie on Jul 10, 2023, 10:04 AMI maintained a fleet of Honda 2/2.3 motors when I ran Sage Marine and I've also owned the motor when had a Montgomery 15.

Never had issues with the motors.  Started on second or third pull when cold.  Almost always on first pull when warmed.

#1 issue is running an outboard often, ALWAYS do this through the winter, and using fresh gas (ethenol, E10, is fine).  Any gas older than a month needs to be transferred to the tow vehicle lawn devices.

More discussion here - https://m17-375.com/2019/04/04/outboard-motors-fuel-issues/

The price is right, the name is right, I like the idea of air-cooled. Do you think the 2.3 will push my Hunter 18.5? I rarely sail anywhere but inland lakes.

Edit: I looked at the specs for the Sage 17 and your site says you used the 2.3 on it. The Hunter 18.5 goes about 350 lbs heavier.

Eddie C

The carbs on small outboards are factory set and you literally have to drill out a plug to get to the adjustment screw. I had a  Tohatsu 3.5 that stalled on acceleration. The factory sent me a new carb under warranty and it worked great. I now have a used Suzuki 2.5 (different boat) and it has been reliable and easy starting.

Dave Scobie

Quote from: Captain Kidd on Jul 10, 2023, 11:06 PMI looked at the specs for the Sage 17 and your site says you used the 2.3 on it. The Hunter 18.5 goes about 350 lbs heavier.

For light duty non-cruising the Honda 2/2.3 would be fine.

Norm L.

I just got a notification about the new Mercury 7.5e electric outboard. They rate them in watts so it is 750 watt which they say is equivalent to a 3.5 four stroke. 
There is a lot to like about it as many things have been well thought out. The weight is about 43 lbs.
The catch is of course the costs. WM has posted $3500.
Mercury will soon be out with a 20e and a 35e. I'm guessing if the exchange is linear that would be about 10hp and 15hp respectively.

pgandw

I looked at Torqueedo and Mercury before buying ePropulsion.  In my comparison, the ePropulsion Spirit 1.0+ won pretty handily.  More power (1000 watts), bigger battery, significantly lower price than the other 2.  Regardless, all 3 look like good motors.

Tested the Spirit 1.0+ out this morning on my 19ft Mariner.  Results better than hoped.  GPS said I was doing 4kts (3.8 kts against wind of 10kts), 4.3kts with the wind, using 400 watts.  That gives 3+ hrs run time, 12+ mile range.  Maybe do a little better in calms.  500 watt throttle gave 4.5 kts.

The only noise was the boat moving through the water.  As I passed fishermen in their boats, could converse without shouting. I thoroughly enjoyed not having to pray motor would start while pulling a rope.  And no reaching over transom to reverse motor - reverse is on the motor tiller.  Space where the gas tank sat in the cockpit is now available for legs and feet. No worries about dripping gas or oil while carrying motor or battery.  Motor with battery is less than 45lbs.

The only advantage of my 5hp Honda is a 30+ mile range with the 3 gal gas tank.

Capt Kidd - appreciate the offer about info on solar panels, but I won't be going there.  Just not enough deck space with direct sun on my 19ft Mariner to support the size panels needed.  If I run the motor at 400 watts, and have 200 watts of panels I need at least 3 hrs of direct sun for every hour of motor running to keep up.  Pretty tough when the sunniest part of the day is spent sailing.  Solar recharging would be practical at a mooring where boat is not used every day.  But I have a lift with electricity at home, so it would only be when I go out on a multiday cruise that I might have a problem.  The ideal solution would be a second battery at $1100, but that ain't happening.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Doug SC

Here is a video comparison of several small HP gas and electric outboards. You get a review of each while being operated on the water.

part 1 gas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qrVo9g4mow

part 2 electric
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGESRcVZFQ

Doug SC

Here is another link on some new options in electric motors. I find the new Temo-1000 a very interesting choice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcRpx4CGSAk

There are even videos on DIY electric motors using the drive and foot of old gas outboards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3hTVGUT-94

noelH

For my specific use the the Temo 1000 would be ideal. I usually use 10-15% of battery capacity for my round trips into and out of the marina. So far, range anxiety has not been an issue. Longest motoring has only been ~6nm. Plenty of spare power left(+50%).  Like the 360 rotation to make removing the motor from within the cockpit an easier process.  Removing my Torqeedo requires me to unplug both battery and tiller.  Then remove both before pulling the motor.   Even then it's a bit of a pita to remove the motor unless seas are calm.   Nice not having the "wart" hanging off the transom while sailing.

The adjustable shaft height is cool.  Vela is in-between the long shaft and short shaft Torqeedo options.  Short shaft functionally is almost as long as the Honda 2 I was looking at. In rough seas I wish I had the long version.  All other days short works fine.

One correction to the chart.  Torqeedo Travel has a 5 year warranty on motor and battery.

Thinking the Temo 450 might be adequate.  Originally I was not even planning for a motor.  The Washburn Boat Club(same seasonal ramp permit as the Marina) ramp at Thompson's West End Park just south of the Marina does not require you to motor in and out. But no on land storage allowed.  Use to sail Laser and 420s out of that launch.  Bit tricky on days with stronger Southerly winds. 
Sage S15
 Vela

Captain Kidd

Well, I did it: bought a motor yesterday. I found a brand new, never touched the water Honda 2.3 long shaft. An older fellow, boat builder, 30 year liveaboard bought it and discovered it was too long. Didn't want to bother with the headache of reshipping so I got it for a "used price" and tax free! Found it on Market Place.

It's small for my boat, but for my use I hope it will do the trick. Water-cooled so will be very easy to start regularly to keep the gas fresh.

Riley Smith

Yea!!! New motor! I like! How come I NEVER see stuff like that in Marketplace?
Riley

Travis Chapman

I'm sure it will work out very well. On my Aquarius 23 I ran both a 24 volt MotorGuide electric trolling motor and later a Honda 8hp. Both worked great for their different purposes. Now on my Windrose 18 I've got a Tohatsu 6hp which does just fine, along with a 55 lb thrust electric trolling motor from Newport Vessels that I use from time to time on lakes. Biggest influence I found on engine reliability was using a 4 stroke model; I've just never had good fortune with a 2 stroke.

Similar to your experience, I found the Tohatsu on Craigslist having sat in a garage for several years and as best I could tell only used once. I love that thing! I've always had a heart for those Hondas and felt it would be my alternative if I could ever find one for the right price. For now, no need to upgrade, but I do keep it in mind.
=============
SV Panda Paws
Windrose 18
Lynchburg, VA

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Dave Scobie on Jul 10, 2023, 10:04 AMMore discussion here - https://m17-375.com/2019/04/04/outboard-motors-fuel-issues/

Dave - I've read and even printed out your advice for outboard maintenance. Question: you recommend using both Stabl and Sea Foam. Do you halve the recommended additive or go full strength for each.

I'm going to do my best to take care of this new outboard.

TIA

Dave Scobie

Quote from: Captain Kidd on Jul 28, 2023, 02:42 PMQuestion: you recommend using both Stabl and Sea Foam. Do you halve the recommended additive or go full strength for each.

Full strength for both.

noelH

The stink and surface film of ICE.  Have been noticing more oily film at the marina ramp recently. Downwind from a large, loud power boat yesterday I could smell the stench of the exhaust.  Wondering if even the newer gen 4 stroke ICE are clean after viewing one of the videos link by DougSC.  Something to consider between electric and ICE if either are an option for your use.
Sage S15
 Vela