News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Two of 'em

Started by Riley Smith, Sep 04, 2023, 06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

As you may or may not know, the navy has three of these boats running around the world. I posted a pic awhile back  of one tied up here and now there's two. I assume the one on the dry dock is the first one to arrive because it has already been altered with the addition of the two domes on the superstructure. The brackets to receive that hardware has been installed on the second. I have read that there were funds to do some upgrades.
You cannot view this attachment.
The whole ship is a study in anonymity and featureless other than strange shapes and angles. From just looking at what is there, it would be easy to sit on the horizon with just the upper level sticking up and not be detected. I'm absolutely sure there are many retractable sensors and antenna in that structure. Weapons? You can't see them.
If I had to guess, I'd say a lot of missiles and torpedoes! Possibly a laser, too, as it was designed with the generating capacity to fire an electromagnetic rail gun. Anyway, thought some of you might be interested
You cannot view this attachment. 
Riley

NickScheuer

Aren't those the ones that don't work very well?  As much as they cost, and as long as it took to build them, they should work damm near PERFECT on their shake-down cruise.  Or do we no longer have the best Navy in the World?  Ships don't work right?  Give the vendor a choice, no more shipbuilding for them, or roll a head or two in upper management.

Riley Smith

I've read that the rail gun debacle severely hurt this ship's mission profile. The original thought was this boat could shoot the rail gun at a very high rate of speed. I think they were around 5" projectiles but don't quote me on that one. The range of the rail gun was phenomenal but in the end the AMMUNITION was too expensive to shoot. Sources have said the ship was a hull in search of a mission. I've read a good bit about them here and there and seems they were deemed seaworthy after some extended testing. The unorthodox bow was a serious area of concern. I'm a little skeptical of anything I read about these boats as they are shrouded in secrecy. At any rate, they're here and getting some new stuff. I'd LOVE to go on one. (PS I was trying to get the number and tell which ones they are but ....there IS no number).
Riley

Norm L.

Nick, the one you may be thinking of are the Littoral Combat Ships (LCS). The original series (three?) were failures and are being retired. The oldest one is about 5 years old.

Let's not step into politics as the Military-Industrial Complex was coined by General and President Eisenhower, who knew both sides.
There are two major military shipbuilding corporations, and several smaller ones, and it ends up that retired admirals often end up working for one. Same with the Air Force.
Then there was the school that the high-tech space race should be carried over into a high-tech naval vessel race as only computers win wars. The Navy and Marine Corp is now going back more towards the idea that battles will be more neighborhoods and not continents and that fifty $100,000,000 ships may be better than 5 $500,000,000 ships. Give or take a few end zeros. 
And there are not enough shipyards to maintain what already exists.

It's a complex world. Which is why there are groups like us that are very happy in trying to keep things as basic and simple as we can and enjoy.

NickScheuer

Probably right about the Littoral Combat Ships.  Ever read about the plywood outboard warship Phil Bolger designed and his wife built, designed to be built in third world countries with dubious ship-building skills for use in littoral waters?  Now THERE is an outboard powered cruiser (not much conversion required) I could get excited about.

Riley Smith

The LCS catamaran version is a pretty impressive HULL. Unfortunately, the hardware to run that hull was unreliable. Typical of the bigger is better mindset, the service didn't want them after they got them. Those military planners are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. Although I will have to say somebody ought to get a raise/promotion for using  old supertankers as an Expeditionary Base. I think these three boats are on a whole 'nother level. If you look at the profile, there is a box shape nearer the aft end which houses the helicopter.
As certain "testing grounds" prove lately, all this expensive hardware is threatened by $1000 drones.
Riley