Was moderately disappointed in the LiFePO, then OK with it, now fairly pleased

Started by tjspiel, Sep 27, 2023, 10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

Still can't tell with a lot of certainty its state of charge but I think I'll have something figured out by next season.

What's changed my mind about it is that I spent an evening last week circling the lake with the trolling motor on full thrust. After an hour of that, the battery still had 50% or more charge left (as near as I could tell).

For a 100 Ah battery and that trolling motor, that's about what it should be.

So that was good.

But what really got me on board was a few days later. Since that night it's been cloudy almost the whole time, - which means the solar panel was really only keeping the battery from draining any further (there's some small electronics running at all times). Lead acid batteries like to be kept charged. LiFePOs aren't bothered in the least about sitting at 50% for days and days.

On Saturday it was pretty windy with a few white caps and I wanted to experiment with a different sail so I went out. Ended up having to tow a row boat against the wind. My old trolling motor would have a hard time but the new 55 lb motor managed pretty well.

And it was nice to know that even though there hadn't been any sun to charge the battery I had plenty of reserve. All in a smaller and lighter package than the lead acid alternative.

Given the peace of mind it's provided me, it now seems like money well spent.

Quantico Frank

I'm really happy with mine too Tom. Best information I can find is you have to do next to nothing to maintain it over the off season—- maybe put a little juice in it every six months or so to keep it charged to 50%. But the info is so sketchy, I'm not even sure that's required. Does anyone have any other authoritative info on this?
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

tjspiel

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Sep 28, 2023, 05:42 AMI'm really happy with mine too Tom. Best information I can find is you have to do next to nothing to maintain it over the off season—- maybe put a little juice in it every six months or so to keep it charged to 50%. But the info is so sketchy, I'm not even sure that's required. Does anyone have any other authoritative info on this?

I read the same thing. Run it down to 50% then disconnect and leave it. Maybe run it through a charge/discharge cycle after a few months.

Don't know how necessary that last part is. They will lose about 2% a month so maybe doing that once and leaving it 50% again would be good.

Wayne Howard

What I understand about LiFePo batteries is that they don't like the ends. Anywhere in the middle is fine. On the big boat, I have the bilge pumps wired directly to the battery with little indicator lights on the panel. So when everything is off, there is still a 0.03 amp draw for overnight. If you have an overnight drain and a solar panel, they should remain happy.

And at the off grid house, the overnight draw is way more significant and the batteries are still happy.  ;)
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

tjspiel

Wayne Howard

Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

talbot

An acquaintence told me to check RV web sites. She said the house trailer / motor home folks are the ones who really know their batteries.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon