Hull Speed Schmull Speed

Started by tjspiel, Oct 02, 2023, 01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talbot

Yeah, reefing on a jib makes more sense in terms of sail shape than does roller furling, which radically changes the aerofoil as it reels in the fabric. But having just invested in a new furling 135, I don't expect to make any other sail changes for awhile.

Speaking of that new 135, it is much more versatile than the 150, can be flown full in higher winds, is easier to trim, etc. But it's not as fast, at least not in wind speeds low enough to use the 150. If I were racing under full sail with the 135 against another P21 with reefed main and a 150, I would be creamed.

So I'm keeping the big Genoa. With the Schaefer furlers, it's not a big deal to change headsails underway. Not that we plan to race this boat. But just in case....
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

Riggerdood

Quote from: tjspiel on Oct 03, 2023, 08:04 PMSure, you can have extra credit. :)

The Rhodes is pretty distinctive although I'm not sure the newer ones have jumper stays, and I've heard some people take them off.

I like the O'Day 222s a lot. Looks like a larger version of the P-18.
Thanks, I'll take all the extra credit I can get ...

The only reason I'm familiar with the Rhodes 19 is that they were initially built by O'Day, same as my DS was. I believe the O'Day Mariner hull is the same as the Rhodes 19 as well. The early DS's had jumper stays as well, and most folks, at least the racers, did remove them.

As to the 222, actually, most folks prefer the original O'Day 22's, for various reasons.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

twstoerzinger

I charted several boats with reefing jibs back in the 80's in the Apostle Islands. Roller jibs were still considered a novelty at the time. As I recall, a 100 working jib with a reef point made a pretty good heavy weather jib. Only problem was that the bundle of sail at the bottom ended up being a deck sweeper - you could not see under it.