News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Turtled my P 165

Started by Eddie C, Oct 09, 2023, 10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian N.

Looked it up on the internet (so it must be true  ;)   ) ordinary Styrofoam has 55 pounds buoyancy per cubic foot. To get meaningful floatation in the bow would take up a good amount of space. An inflatable with a foot pump and a quick release valve seems to me, a better option. Got me thinking (which is dangerous) I have an older air mattress from camping  that might fit the bill.
Fair winds
Brian N.

DBthal

Brian,

From my whitewater canoeing experience........

Inflatable floatation bags can be left full. They are sturdy and meant to be kept full for long periods as long as not overinflated. They need to be able to swell & contract with temp changes.

Also, they need to be secured in place, or they will float out of position just when you need them.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Brian N.

Did not think about how unsecured flotation might move out of the exact space it is needed most. The foam blocks aft in the P165 are secured with a strap. Securing flotation in the bow might prove difficult.

Thought about sailing with the hatch board in place and companionway slide closed, but it would be a real pain. My crew or myself are in/out of the cabin often, whether to get sandwiches, snacks, binoculars, drinks and such. Also, I slip a mahogany board into the bottom 1/3 of the hatch. It holds my depth sounder/fish finder, radio and cup holder.
Fair winds
Brian N.

DBthal

Quote from: Brian N. on Oct 16, 2023, 12:03 PMThought about sailing with the hatch board in place and companionway slide closed, but it would be a real pain. My crew or myself are in/out of the cabin often, whether to get sandwiches, snacks, binoculars, drinks and such. Also, I slip a mahogany board into the bottom 1/3 of the hatch. It holds my depth sounder/fish finder, radio and cup holder.

That's exactly what I do too.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Wayne Howard

Great Stuff expanding foam is NOT waterproof!  It will absorb water and very slowly release it. I know but  :-X
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Straander

Quote from: Brian N. on Oct 16, 2023, 12:03 PMDid not think about how unsecured flotation might move out of the exact space it is needed most. The foam blocks aft in the P165 are secured with a strap. Securing flotation in the bow might prove difficult.

Thought about sailing with the hatch board in place and companionway slide closed, but it would be a real pain. My crew or myself are in/out of the cabin often, whether to get sandwiches, snacks, binoculars, drinks and such. Also, I slip a mahogany board into the bottom 1/3 of the hatch. It holds my depth sounder/fish finder, radio and cup holder.

Agreed. Whenever there is more then 2 people on the boat, there is lots of traffic in and out of the cabin that would be made much more awkward by having to work around a closed hatch every time.
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Tollerowner

That is all horrifying...  I thought it wasn't supposed to be possible.

I have a P15K and would never have gone out in that wind.  When I go out in wind that is rather less than that, but still gusty,  I furl the jib.  A few people commented that the problem is with the jib, so if I was holding the main sheet and managed to let it out, would I have avoided this catastrophe with the furled jib? 

Eddie C

Sounds like a reasonable approach to furl the jib. In hindsight, furling 1/2 of the jib may have prevented my knockdown. Once the mast was parallel to the water I don't think anything would have prevented the boat from turtling. I'm still convinced it was the wind on the bottom of the boat that pushed it over.

tjspiel

Quote from: Eddie C on Dec 10, 2023, 03:16 PMSounds like a reasonable approach to furl the jib. In hindsight, furling 1/2 of the jib may have prevented my knockdown. Once the mast was parallel to the water I don't think anything would have prevented the boat from turtling. I'm still convinced it was the wind on the bottom of the boat that pushed it over.

I've seen enough capsized boats to believe you when you say that the wind pushing on the bottom helped push it over. Boats that aren't very stable on their sides. The stubby keels on the Precisions are what helps make them more trailerable but they are less effective at righting the boat than a fin keel with a bulb.