The most recent leg report

Started by Wayne Howard, Mar 27, 2023, 08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Howard

I kept telling the boss that something was wrong when I lifted my foot. It seemed to me that the lower shin bone was not moving with the upper shin bone. So I saw the doctor today and he grabbed my ankle and moved it right to left and says "Yep, it's broke."

He calls in the big boss and my options are:
1) Do nothing and see if it will heal. So far, NOT.
2) Amputation! You should of see Connie puff up about that!
3) Insert a rod and hope the infection does not ramp up.
4A) Cut out a section of the bone and put an external fixation on to grow the bone. Duration 120 days.
4B) Cut out a section of the bone and put in an internal device that is awaiting FDA approval. Timing - TBA.

So 1 and 2 are not options as far as I can stand it. 4A is a non-starter because I spent 120 days in a cast already and I'm not going back. 4B might have worked but the manufacturer is no longer giving estimates of when they will get FDA approval.

So it looks like mid-April is when I will have another surgery to install the rod. Timing on a couple of items. Orthopedic wants me off antibiotics for 14 days and he has to get approval from the infectious disease doctor. And finally, we might have to call in the plastic surgeon again to lift the muscle flap away from the bone while they drill out the bone for the rod.

This all sounds difficult but Connie and I thought the rod insertion was going to happen last year. But the car wreck has pushed things back. ah well. I should be walking by the end of April so...
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Doug SC

Wow, what a roller coaster ride. With a rod installed I hope you will soon be firing on all cylinders again. I quess I should head to my corner now. :D

westcoaster

Yeow, Wayne!  Bless your heart for your endurance on this.  Lesser folk might have crumbled.  I have nothing to send but my best wishes and keeping you in my mind with hope for the future.

Captain Kidd

Can't imagine how discouraging this must be. Take heart. Not much choice but to grin and bear it; press forward and hope things look up. Wishing you well.

Riley Smith

Oh buddy, that ain't what I wanted to hear either! You didn't mention mobility and I assume it is limited if at all. I think I've got a battery powered contraption if you need it. Hang in there. Maybe the rod will do the trick. Tell that sawbones I can make it out of 316 stainless for him! And tell Connie she's got our prayers, too.
Riley

Norm L.

What aggravation and a touch depressing even to we readers of this. I have divided medical people into healers and mechanics. For your situation you do want master mechanics. But it might take a healer to keep ones mind on the goal.

(It took me a day to work out how to get back into this site after it made the jump)

Jim B., CD-25

Tough options, Wayne.  I know you and Connie will take this the right direction.  The medical stuff is disheartening as it limits our mobility... hoping for the best outcome for you.  Hang in there.

Wayne Howard

Update!  I get the shaft on Tax Day!  No, not getting robbed by Uncle Sam.

I am going under the knife/drill on April 18th to get the rod inserted. 2 day hospital stay. I was thinking it would be day surgery, oh, well. Hopefully, it's wheel in and walk out.  Then I get to start on all the Honey-Dos and projects that I've had to let slide for the last 12 months.  :o
Wayne Howard

Riley Smith

Here's to a good outcome. I dunno buddy but spelling relief "a steel rod in mah leg" sounds a bit drastic, and then having to wait forever wasn't helping. I'll bet this is the first time to be looking forward to chores! Hope you get this BEHIND you.
Riley

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Wayne, I hope all goes well this time, and that you're up and about quickly!

Noemi

Rod in Michigan

Hoping for the best for you and Connie.
Rod

Wayne Howard

Whoa!!! What a surprise. I had my surgery and everything went great according to the doctors. Post op directions are to walk on it as I am able to stand the discomfort. Oh and BTW, GO HOME!!! So yeah, here I am at the house 12 hours after we left for the hospital. Now I just have to listen to the Pain & Torture lady (Connie) to keep after me about walking.  ;D
Wayne Howard

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Riley Smith

That's great news! And home is always good too!
Riley

Krusen

Wayne and Connie, best wishes, and optimism on your combined drive to recovery.

I finally logged on, and this is my first post, so it is very special.

The two of you are very special, and your continuing to work to defeat the health issues is inspiring.   :)