The Manatee Menace, and paddling Mosquito Lagoon

Started by Doug SC, Mar 28, 2023, 11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug SC

We headed to FL for a family get together this last week. It was good to spend time with my 99-year-old Dad, and our 5-month-old granddaughter. A house was rented on a canal off the ICW which allowed me access to Mosquito Lagoon.
You cannot view this attachment.

I didn't bring my kayak thinking I could probably rent one for a day or two. However, I was surprised that all I could find were 3-hour guided trips for $50 or 6 hours for $100. My solution to this dilemma was to check Craigslist for kayaks for sale. To my surprise I found a fiberglass Besty Bay listed for $200 just 15 minutes down the road. I called and talked with Howard the owner. In the course of conversation, I told him my situation. He promptly offered to loan me one of his many sea kayaks to use while I was there. Of course, I gladly accepted his kind offer.

He has numerous sea kayaks in his fleet. I went with a rotomolded Valley Skerry with an ocean cockpit padded for excellent contact with the boat. he supplied the added safety gear, skirt, and paddle. He spends much of his paddling time long boat surfing the local inlet and the ocean. He and his wife are some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Here I'm in the kayak he generously offered me.

I launched from the dock on the cannel, which is a bit tricky with an ocean cockpit, but I have a method that works well to keep the boat stable while I slide into the cockpit feet first while sitting on the back deck. I tie a rope from the dock or ladder to the outside edge of the kayak. This allows me to keep my weight to the water side without causing the kayak to tip. It stabilizes the boat.

There were numerous Manatees that would enter the cannel sometimes as many as a dozen. In the still water they leave evidence of their presence on the surface with a trail of round circle disturbances on the surface.
These circular disturbances are more pronounced the faster they swim. This one was leaving as a boat was coming up behind it.

Then they also let you know they are there when they exhale to take another breath with only their nostrils above the water.

Mosquito Lagoon is salt water at the north end of the North Indian River. It is a Mangrove maze of shallow bays and channels where you need to pay close attention as much of it looks the same.
Here is a screen shot of the area I paddled.

I left the ICW on the small channel across from Indian Mound Fish Camp.
A tight squeeze through some mangroves.

The Mangrove have aerial roots that stick up out of the water and buttresses of roots going down to hold them in place during storms.

Doug SC

Continuing with the photos and story...

There were mangrove islands, dead end channels, and bays.

Unlike the ICW and cannels the lagoon had a water clarity of 3 to 4 feet. Here is an underwater shot of the bow.

There were numerous congregations of water striders near the edges of the mangroves.

Hermit Crabs where common in the shallows. I saw several stingrays, which I failed to get a photo as they would blast away as soon as I saw them.

Now I suppose you are wondering about the "Manatee Menace". So here is the rest of the story. As I entered the ICW from a narrow mangrove channel I inadvertently passed my bow over an unseen full-grown Manatee. It took offense at this, and the bow raised out of the water as if a depth charge had gone off under it. I managed to stay upright as I watched the water churn going away from the kayak. I managed to get a shot of the creature's nose as it came up for a breath.

After sitting there for a minute, I put the tip of the paddle back in the water only to have another depth charge go off at the end of my paddle. After all this I kept a wary eye out for the ever present "Manatee Menace"

My Dad and JD both love too fish. JD caught a couple of Mangrove Snappers, but mostly the catch was Bullhead Catfish which were thrown back into the cannel.

One last menace is the possibly of being attacked by the invasive Brown Anole.

Actually, JD caught it and handed it to me. It also made a great lizard earring when it latched onto an ear lobe.  ;D 

Wayne Howard

Nice! Thanks for bringing us along. This is how I get my boating fix these days.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Riley Smith

It looks like a fun getaway. Kudos on the fellow that loaned you the yak! At least the catfish were big enough to fight a little. A live shrimp might get you something great  ;D  We're scheduled to go to Orange Beach in May. I'm not so sure though. The LAST time we went there the Lincoln got totaled by a hailstorm!
Riley

Mary Lou

Thanks for the report and the photos. We've been in Florida (West Coast just south of Tampa Bay) for two months but only got out kayaking once before Covid shut us down. It's gone but still dealing with some after effects. We're improving so hoping to get out soon. Meanwhile your report was most welcome.

Doug SC

Mary Lou, I'm sorry to hear that Covid has put things on pause. If you are able after recovering. I would highly recommend renting a boat at Silver Springs up by Ocala, FL. It is a great place to see the wildlife. Avoid the "clear" canoes as the folks paddling them say they are reflective and don't work well so not worth the extra charge. here are a few photos from the first of March when I was there. We didn't see the monkeys that trip.

a couple taken by holding a waterproof camera underwater over the side of the boat.

Lots of gators.

Anhinga's nesting.

Male Wood Duck.

Tricolor Heron.

Immature Little Blue Heron. They are white and change color when mature.

A popular turtle hangout.

You might see a manatee.

A Limpkin calling.

Norm L.

Let me know when you publish your coffee-table book of photos and travels. I'll take a signed copy. Maybe even write a back cover blurb.   ;D

Always great reads. And two thumbs up to your Dad.

Doug SC

Quote from: Riley Smith on Mar 28, 2023, 08:10 PMKudos on the fellow that loaned you the yak! At least the catfish were big enough to fight a little.

Thanks for the appreciation y'all. Riley you are right with the Kudos, and much like this place it helps confirm my faith in people. Catching the Bullheads brought back memories for Dad and he told fish stories from back in the day.

Captain Kidd

Ditto on the thanks for posting. Always enjoyable.