New outboard for my 21, thinking of upgrading to a 25" shaft

Started by Tom G P 21, Nov 12, 2023, 01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom G P 21

I've had an Honda 20" for the last 10 years. It's had its share of problems recently and I am thinking about putting the money to a Tohatsu sailpro instead of fixing the Honda. I sail on the coast so I do have to deal with swells from time to time. I was wondering who has the 25 vs 20 and what you think of it?

gary-s

I have a 2003 Nissan 4 stroke 5hp with the 25 " shaft on my P21.  Love it.

Only have the prop hit the water surface if I fail to lower the motor mount all the way and I'm standing way forward on the foredeck.

I did experience a hardstart, poor idle, even shutting off at "start position several years ago before I got educated on only using ethanol free gas. Had the carb cleaned electrostaticly.
Since then it has run flawlessly.

Mine is not a sail-pro so doesn't have the charging system.   Had thought about the merits of the propane version, but since I quit using any fuel with alcohol in it don't feel it would be an advantage.
BTW I rarely go beyond 1/2 throttle.  I've heard the larger paddle/sail prop is a nice option.

Bud

When my 5hp 20" Nissan was stolen I replaced it with a 25" 6hp Tohatsu Saildrive. I did it for the same reason you are thinking of. I also do some coastal cruising. It works very well on the ocean, On smoother water I don't put the motor mount all the way down. One disadvantage of the longer shaft it is harder to carry around. My engine has always been hard to start, it floods. I have replaced the carburetor, didn't help. I assume hard starting is not a general problem but just related to my engine. Good luck.

Peter S

Quote from: Bud on Nov 14, 2023, 01:11 PMMy engine has always been hard to start, it floods. I have replaced the carburetor, didn't help. I assume hard starting is not a general problem but just related to my engine

my 6 hp Tohatsu has only given trouble starting when there was water in the fuel (other that operator error!), it is so much lighter than the old (1995?) 2 stroke it replaced and the 25" is helpful in rougher weather.

Tom G P 21

Thank you for the comments. Will probably go with the Tohatsu 25, it's a bit of a Christmas present to myself. I have been buying non-eth gas for a long time. They sell it at a local airport. The problem with the Honda is an exhaust manifold leak that requires taking the head off to replace. It's a little above my skill set.

davepowell

I love my Tohatsu 6 on my P21. Never had a starting problem. Can't find non-corn gas in NJ, but I've used an additive that the dealer gave me. I typically only motor short distances.