News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Gales of November

Started by noelH, Nov 14, 2023, 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelH

But it's 60F today.  Warm front blew in late yesterday.  First sunny, cloud free day since  maybe mid October.  Put the ice and snow tires on the truck yesterday morning.   Mother Nature is laughing at me. Wind is howling through the forest. Down at the mailbox the township road was a wind tunnel blowing at F6-7. Even though it is warm. Bad day to be out on the water. November Gales, Three Sisters waiting to sink you. The wacky, schizo weather continues. Couple weeks ago awoke to 6" of snow covering the deck.

Riley Smith

The rain has finally come; a slow and steady sprinkle that has continued for three days so far. I have been waiting patiently for it through the last of the hellish summer and the beautiful October skies. The cruel and extended drought driven away by tiny drops of water from heaven.
 I suspect that rain signals the beginning of our winter, as a anomaly from the Bay of Campeche and Mexico got caught up in the sub-tropical jet and is driving away the dust and sinus-attacking fall flowers. On this coast nothing is written in stone though, and I've felt abnormal chills in the hottest month and worn shorts and a tee on Christmas Eve. So I go only on what these old bones and the whisper of Nature tells me, but we're running the heater occasionally to ward off the damp and chill.
 The boat is ready again should Providence ( and the work schedule) provide a window. The lines are stowed neatly on the mast in the specific way I've developed over the years to make it easier to rig. I've sailed a few short legs since the refurbishing and worked out most of the rigging kinks. There is still a dedicated reefing bridle to make but really a couple of short lengths of random line will suffice should the need arise. Reefing on a catboat is essential but I've intentionally kept the boat as simple as possible, figuring that helps fight gremlins.
 I carry a canvas bolt bag under the seat filled with rigging essentials  and lines for such occasions. No metal cables are on the boat and high-tech on this boat means the thimble and eye for the halyard shackles. Those halyards are showing wear and the coming cold will give me time to make them. And the inside needs a coat of paint too. So, as always, there are projects. I don't think you ever get completely done, as I haven't managed it in 25 years
  Thanksgiving looms and I always look forward to the feast. We always celebrate it at the Labrot House on the shore, inviting anyone with an appetite. I like it so much more than the commercalized follow-ups and if you've never attended a feast where several Southern cooks are vying to make The Best, you've missed something great in life.

Riley

rfrance0718

In Ohio we've had a run of incredible weather. Temps are up and down but sunshine has been constant. Today, sunny, with highs in the mid 60s. The kids had their  last late season practice last night. It was sunny but the wind didn't show. Same thing for our 2 Laser frostbiting meets so far. I've been raking leaves every day for a week. First time I can remember not having wet leaves to rake. Our biggest tree hasn't dropped yet. I've packed 30 leaf bags so far. Looks like it will be in the 70s in NOLA this weekend.

Norm L.

You will be bringing that weather to us. We've had 3 days of living in Seattle with temps mid 60 during the day and constant light mist/drizzle. Tomorrow the rain stops and sun out for Friday.

noelH

68F(20C) on Thursday. About 20F warmer than normal. This morning started out cool at 2C, but within couple hours of sunrise warmed to +7C. Warm enough morning for a H-alpha solar observation session.  +5C is the low end of blocking filter spec. Reduced level of resolution in colder conditions.

The recently released USDA hardiness zone map 2023 has us officially listed as Zone 5a.  Little late update.  Have had Zone 5 perennials in the ground for at least 20 years. South facing exposure and elevation, but close to the Lake might have resulted creating a micro zone5 prior to the update.  Sub zero nights are becoming more rare than +90F summer day highs. Don't miss the cold nights.  Can live without the 90F days.

Interesting Lake Effect.  Eastern half of Madeline Is is Zone5a. Western half is Zone 5b.  Guessing the years where the North and South Channel remain mostly ice free the whole island is 5b.

Riley Smith

It isn't November we have to worry about. November is oftentimes an extension of October, which is the driest and nicest month on the Gulf Coast. Once the storms DO start to arrive, the cold does too, but normally AFTER the storm. Abnormally warm is a serious indicator things are headed downhill. It was chilly this morning but clear and then near 70F this afternoon, with a beautiful sky. Some of those winter storms rival small hurricanes and can create havoc along the shoreline. For some reason of geography that I can't understand, an east wind brings much higher tides, and with the low approaching from the west, we get a wind driven tide increase to help things along. I enjoy watching one bring it's fury ashore and the drastic conditions that change constantly until the wind swings to the north and blows all the water seaward. In this place the whole world is oriented north and south....and to the south is the water.
Riley

Spot

'Baby, it's cold outside...'

Woke to 10 F (-11 C) this morning, supposed to be colder yet tonight. We got about an inch (2.5cm) snow over the weekend. It looks like I'll have two warmish days Wed. and Thursday to do final boat positioning and covering before winter.

Wondering how Noel is fairing farther to the North...
Big dreams, small boats...

noelH

Warmer up North.  Surface water temp is still "warm".  -8C at sunrise, but strong NW wind with fine dust like sideways snowfall.  New NWS definition for Winter Storm up here.  Minimum of 7" in 12hrs of expected snowfall.  Nothing close to that amount.  More like maybe 7cm by AM. Significantly more forecasted for the U.P. with this NW wind.8"/12hr minimum required for Winter Storm Warning up there.  My township doesn't have to plow unless NWA issues a Winter Storm. Why we need ground clearance and 4x4 or AWD.  Ice and Snow wheels/tires are on the truck. Normal is 50-100% more snow at the house compared to Lake level. 1km inland, but +100 meter gain in elevation.  Top of the ridge gets another 25-50% more.  Ready for anything under couple feet.  At least going downhill.  Real Ice and snow tires are almost like studs until the microporous rubber wears off.  Then you just have snow tires.

Will be an interesting winter with our weird weather plus ElNino. Latest predictions are 75-85% chance of strong event. Maybe the Bay will remain ice free? USGS data back to 1911. Never an ice free year in that period. If no ice on the Bay. No ice on L. Superior anywhere but stream mouths and flood plains.  Time for a first! Sailing by April 1st!