Material made from egg whites for removing plastics and salt from seawater.

Started by Doug SC, Nov 19, 2023, 10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug SC

I found this interesting in that not just 98 to 99% of microplastics but also salt can be removed from seawater using this material made from egg whites. I thought some of y'all might be interested.

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-tech/egg-whites-microplastics-filter/ 

Riley Smith

My wife has been telling me to buy some chickens !!! ;D

Riley

noelH

Quote from: Riley Smith on Nov 19, 2023, 04:23 PMMy wife has been telling me to buy some chickens !!! ;D

Then some wild duck or other avian critter will infect the flock with bird flu virus.  Can you eat infected domestic chickens?  Not too fond memories of Granny W educating me where the chicken in the grocery store comes from by some hands on chicken processing. I think I was 6-7 y/o. 

Potential for home, boat, camping water filtration/purifiers.

I think it was the U of Minnesota research group that tested a number of micro-brewery that use Lake Superior or Great Lakes water. High percentage contaminated by micro plastics. Fresh Lake Superior fish loaded with PFAS, mercury, micro plastics...Chase it down with a micro plastic tainted beer.

One of the issues with quantifying micro plastics are the definitions of what it is.  Not sure what the Federal Government spec is.  0.000,001 meters? Worldwide problem.  Certain forms and uses of plastics are more or less necessary. We just need to reduce and reuse as much as possible.

Another plus for trailer sailboats.  Smaller plastic "footprint". Available and lower proper disposal cost. There is a place up here that for a reasonable fee strips down boats and shreds fiberglass or crushes metal for recycling.  Not as cheap as what some have done.  Always interesting to roam the boat "graveyard" at the marina.