News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

On the Beach #20

Started by Riley Smith, Nov 25, 2023, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

Two bass sleds came from up the river just as it was good light. The kids were already fishing and we admired the speed of the first boat but the second got on top of the bar. I heard the engine change pitch and knew the day had turned bad for them. As I write, they're still stuck, and now wet from trying to get off. And miserable, no doubt. A dramatic example of the folly of running these waters on low tide. Sooner or later they'll refloat, as the tide is rising.
 I wasn't fishing, as the tide was low plus. It had dropped almost three feet since 10pm last night. My focus was to catch the magic hour with the camera and I got a few good pictures. I knew there wasn't much of a chance for a decent fish, although I did borrow a rod from the boys and catch a tiny croaker. It's hard to beat experience; thousands of hours deciphering the vibrations transmitted by the fiberglass pole.
 And so now I'm enjoying the third (small) cup on the porch and looking out over the water. I've only run aground once in S R Cat, a testimonial to her draft, and it was a non-event. A slight push with a paddle and we were floating once more, with a new heading plugged into the brain.
 There are chores to do and some breakfast would be nice, so I can't sit forever watching the pelicans and the ever-changing light. The small portion of the bar that is visible is already reduced from the rising tide. Perhaps the bass sled will refloat soon, but already my day is much better compared to theirs. That statement is also tempered with a knowledge that it can change in a heartbeat.
 Yes, the sun has arrived on the porch to warm old bones chilled by the daylight excursion. It's going to be a fine day.
Riley

Charles Brennan

Riley, I have admired and treasured your word-paintings as long as you've been posting them. Like something from Norman Rockwell, one never tires of enjoying them when they appear.

Thanks,
Charles Brennan

Riley Smith

And THAT is why I'm COMPELLED to write. Thank you VERY much CB. And likewise, I enjoy your knowledge and humor and also those decadent photos!  >:(  You always manage to get the neurons snapping and quite often, from a viewpoint I hadn't even considered.
Riley

Captain Kidd

Ditto on CB's comment. Even with no pics we are there!

Riley Smith

I think this one should be titled Misery. If you notice, the bar is in the MIDDLE and a real sneaker.

You cannot view this attachment.

You can see how low the tide was if you look closely. Basically it was first light.

And this is the reason for getting up so early. The herons coming from the roost headed downriver.

Riley

Norm L.

Great photos.
The advantage of a sailboat is that you have a 2-3 foot depth finder in the form of a centerboard. I once tried to take a shortcut on the inside of a buoy marking a 90 degree in the channel. I was going to save time and distance. I did. When the CB started dragging, I pulled it up and headed back to the channel. I saved all of 10'.

Riley Smith

Oh heck, I forgot about that time! Not long after the boat was built, I was reading that you should raise the centerboard going downwind, so I did once. I assume it is to reduce drag but it made absolutely no discernable difference EXCEPT when I went to bear off and the boat wouldn't turn. I ran her up into the marsh, as I had forgotten to lower the centerboard and it WILL NOT turn without it. Nowadays I just leave it down all the time  8)
Riley

Wayne Howard

Connie and I were headed south from Port O'Connor to Matagorda Bay in Unole!/Necessity. The dolphins were running right beside the cockpit. On that boat, if the dolphins were beside you, you got covered in dolphin spit. We were entranced! Suddenly, the dolphins raced away at a 45 degree from us. Hmmm? About then, the kick up rudder started dragging bottom. We were playing so much attention to the dolphins that we ran out of the channel. Oops. Luckily, Unole's rudder drafted more than the keel so we were able to cut back to the channel before going aground.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Doug SC

The CB on the Scamp touched as I tried to cross a shallow area near the club. I quickly raised it and tacked, hoping the peanut gallery that sits in the patio shade judging us lesser mortals thought I just tacked but didn't touch!