News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

"Ricard's" 90th

Started by Riley Smith, Dec 17, 2023, 08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

Cathy decided to use the Labrot House to host the party for Richard, who was having his 90th birthday. You know... cake, balloons and friends. And so naturally we must lend a hand. What was readily apparent was the day of cleaning that made the old lady sparkle as we arrived. Sonya had her looking good . There was the most unique wooden nativity decoration on the baby grand, too.  Complete with a swath of very beautiful tapestry. Yes, it was all very nice.

We set about getting the heat going and helping arrange the food .  I lit the bedroom gas heater to help chase the chill from the big old house. It was damp and clammy enough with the rain coming. I set a coat hanger near the entrance door and blew the porches off with the blower . And fussed at myself for forgetting the camera after spotting some loons out front. Not to mention the photos of the occasion.

Richard is definitely amazing at 90. He's chasing a girlfriend and enjoying life . After Jeanette died (Cathy's mother ), I worried about him coping but it seems he has done well. We had a great time with plenty of food and cake. Betty had fun and even Jeanette was present in spirit with that painting  near the porch door of the former detached kitchen from ages gone by. We decided Richard now had to change his name because the cake said "Ricard". Plenty of good cheer and smiles.  What's not to feel good about? He is 90 and pretty much the recipient of the lottery of Life!

There was  music, a champagne toast to him, and his son Ricky presented him with a performance by a New Orleans belly dancer on the front lawn. I had always dreamed of a jazz band there and that act seemed to be in the wrong direction, but it turned out everyone laughed and enjoyed "Ricard's " red face.

She was very blond, with long hair and pretty, dressed in smoke blue veils and jewel encrusted costume, but there were a few extra pounds.Afterwards one of the home-schooled and sheltered pre-teens was asked what he thought of the belly dancer and he innocently replied, "I thought she'd be slimmer!"

The weather finally moved in as darkness fell; a cold rain, but with little wind that kept the porch dry and allowed the party to flow outdoors as the smiles and conversations waxed and waned. We have extended family from all directions and the old house was once more lit up and alive. I think those who have gone before would have had a grand time.

I've watched the dawn come this morning. The hoot owls visited before it got light and now the North wind has picked up, blowing the full tide back into the ocean. Soon the egrets will come down the river and the ospreys will appear overhead. And the ebb and flow of the water will continue as it has since time began. 

You cannot view this attachment.
Riley