News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

S/V Impetuous

Started by Captain Kidd, Mar 19, 2024, 11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

I guess you all saw this. Wayne and Connie have launched for the Bahamas. Have to admit a bit of envy here. They posted the link to their tracker.

Someone remind me: what boat is Impetuous?

https://trailersailor.com/forum/index.php?topic=689.0

rfrance0718

Did they maybe have to do a quick haul out on the Ancote River? I hope all is well.

Wayne Howard

Hi! Still alive. Although Monday night and Tuesday morning tried their damnedest. Anyway, I got a line wrapped around the prop during the night and when TowBoatUS showed up to help us into shelter we couldn't raise the centerboard. No water around here really supports 8 feet of draft. Ended up anchored outside of the Tarpon Springs channel outer marker. Yesterday morning using the hookah rig we have onboard, I managed to move the centerboard up some. Just enough to get into Anclote River. Water was cool enough that I didn't have time to unwrap the prop so I just cut the line free. No damage to shaft or cutlass bearing. Motored into Port Tarpon Marina and this morning we got in the air and the folks at ATW Marine Services got the line freed.

Friday and Saturday, the Normally Wrong Service says it's going to be rainy and stormy. I'm hoping they are right this time because the boat needs to have the salt crystals washed off. In a slip and tied off, so no traveling until Sunday morning. Headed south again.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

rfrance0718

Well shoot, that makes sense. I saw that you had anchored out there. I was thinking engine problems, so I guess this was better. Is the board going up and down now?

A buddy of mine got a sheet stuck in the prop and in the rudder. He had to spend the night sailing back and forth across a shipping channel. In the morning he was able to nurse the boat into a somewhat protected bay, and was able to dive, and cut the line free. This was late in October on Lake Erie. He had asked me to go but I begged off.

I'm glad you worked it out!

rfrance0718

You are just coming into Boca Ciega Bay. The anchorage at Gulfport is not well protected, but decent with your NWN breeze. Balls are available.  Wish I was there!

Oh, they went on into the Gulfport Municipal Marina. Even better!

Norm L.

If I had to be 'marooned" I might choose Tarpon Springs, a favorite place even as touristy as it has gotten.

Get the excitement out of the way at the beginning so the rest of the trip is smooth.