News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Flotation for P165

Started by Eddie C, May 08, 2024, 12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie C

Follow up for my capsize post of Oct'23. Prior to launching last week, I mixed and poured Total Boat flotation foam into the forward cup holder cutouts in the cabin. Temp was in the 80s and the boat was still on the trailer. Cold water would likely have reduced expansion of the foam by cooling the hull. I used 2 1-gallon water jugs. Cut 1 in half for a funnel and cut the top 1/4th out of the other for mixing and pouring. The process required quick mixing and pouring but all went well. If there is any way to make a mess, I'm the guy to do it but, uncharacteristically, no mess was made. I used 1 quart each of foam and expander - mixed 1/2 of each at a time, guessing at the amounts. The mixture warms considerably as it expands and sets. Sitting on the bare settees, the heat was pretty apparent. There was very little odor with ports and hatches open. In retrospect, I should have lowered the trailer tongue to facilitate forward settling of the foam. The bow was slightly raised. Based on heat and sound (tapping on the hull liner) the foam filled much of the area behind and under the settees. On the port side it expanded into the area for the potty. It was easily sliced and removed intact (about 5"x6"x1-1/2". Looking from the potty area it was visible on the starboard side but did not intrude. Total flotation gained should be 150 lbs. If you had been on my submerged boat you would have been thrilled with 150 lbs of extra flotation.
F/U from last season's racing - they did not disqualify me for my race ending capsize. I actually came in first place for the season - Claytor Lake Sailing Association. Caveat- some of the faster sailors and boats were traveling last summer so participation was down overall. Still, after 20 years in the club, I'm pleased.
Eddie C

Brian N.

Just re-read your post. Hopefully you'll never find out if the extra flotation works. Interestingly, after setting up the boat yesterday, I've come to realize just how much stuff (extra weight) I have aboard. Two anchors and chain, battery, fire extinguisher and even the porta-potty add a good amount of weight. Cushions, lines, folding seats, electronics, cooler with drinks and food all add up. Plus there is a nearly 40 pound engine hanging on the transom. Not sure if the loaded weight was factor in your case.

When I raced in the Ensign fleet, the captain would remove just about everything that was not nailed down or required by the race rules. Not sure how much of a competitive advantage was gained, but the dock cart sure was full and heavy! Best of luck to you this season.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Eddie C

Not a huge amount of stuff was in the cabin but I won't put the cushions back in. I have a lighter anchor I'll swap out for the heavier one. Your post reminded me that I likely lost my fire extinguisher during the capsize also. The battery is light - an AGM wheelchair battery for lights only - never used. I still need to replace the tiller extension. New ones are crazy expensive so I may try to do a homemade one if anyone has suggestions.
Happy sailing!
Eddie C

Quantico Frank

Sounds great, Eddie! Sounds like the foam is a lot easier to put into the boat than it is to get out of the boat!  :)
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

eaglecreeksailor22

Hello All, following Eddie's post due to having a P165 and sailing a small lake in central Indiana known for fluky gust of wind. I have four new Mae West PFDs that came with the boat that I have replaced with zippered vest type. Printed on them is "Adult over 90 lbs". If I stuff them back into the stern under the cock pit will that effectively increase the flotation factor by 360+ lbs?  Your thoughts please.

Rich

Eddie C

They are going to have a lot less flotation than 90 lbs each. People almost float anyway so it takes very little flotation to keep them up. Water is about 8 lb per gallon so anything that displaces 1 gallon will float 8 lbs. Any flotation you can add is helpful. Fiberglass boats are close to neutral buoyancy so you are really trying to offset the weight of the keel and gear. The foam I added will expand to close to 2-1/2 cubic feet (I think).
Eddie C

Straander

Expanding spray foam in the cupholder holes, thats a cool idea. I am looking for adding more floatation forward since I cut out so much of the forward foam block for my battery, though I did partially offset it by adding foam blocks in to the port cavity to the left of the cooler cutout. Have your pulled off your starboard fusebox to see if the foam expanded in to the area behind it? I'd worry about that causing future electrical repairs to be pretty difficult.

Wasnt there as discussion in these forums a year or two ago about expanding foam essentially turning in to powder after ten or so years?

Quote from: Eddie C on May 08, 2024, 12:11 PMFollow up for my capsize post of Oct'23. Prior to launching last week, I mixed and poured Total Boat flotation foam into the forward cup holder cutouts in the cabin. Temp was in the 80s and the boat was still on the trailer. Cold water would likely have reduced expansion of the foam by cooling the hull. I used 2 1-gallon water jugs. Cut 1 in half for a funnel and cut the top 1/4th out of the other for mixing and pouring. The process required quick mixing and pouring but all went well. If there is any way to make a mess, I'm the guy to do it but, uncharacteristically, no mess was made. I used 1 quart each of foam and expander - mixed 1/2 of each at a time, guessing at the amounts. The mixture warms considerably as it expands and sets. Sitting on the bare settees, the heat was pretty apparent. There was very little odor with ports and hatches open. In retrospect, I should have lowered the trailer tongue to facilitate forward settling of the foam. The bow was slightly raised. Based on heat and sound (tapping on the hull liner) the foam filled much of the area behind and under the settees. On the port side it expanded into the area for the potty. It was easily sliced and removed intact (about 5"x6"x1-1/2". Looking from the potty area it was visible on the starboard side but did not intrude. Total flotation gained should be 150 lbs. If you had been on my submerged boat you would have been thrilled with 150 lbs of extra flotation.
F/U from last season's racing - they did not disqualify me for my race ending capsize. I actually came in first place for the season - Claytor Lake Sailing Association. Caveat- some of the faster sailors and boats were traveling last summer so participation was down overall. Still, after 20 years in the club, I'm pleased.
Eddie C
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Eddie C

Checking behind the fuse panel is a good idea. I'll do that soon. The cured foam appears very durable so I'm not too concerned. The boat was slightly bow up when the foam was poured so it will be interesting to see where it all went. I do know it traveled as far back as the porta potty area under both settees. Thanks for your response.
Eddie C

Straander

You've now got me thinking about just cutting hard foam in to in to a bunch of 2.5"x2.5"x6" pieces and just shoving them down through the cupholders to fill a bunch of that space. Extra floatation, but I SHould still be able to replace the wiring down in there or add new lines.
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Brian N.

Thinking about adding flotation, so I'll "float" this idea to the collective: I have Styrofoam coolers approximately a cubic foot in size (used for medical shipments). My idea was to seal the cooler closed and put a couple in the peak. According to the internet, three cubit feet (3 coolers) should provide about 180 pounds of flotation. That might be enough to keep the bow up if flooded. Comments???
Fair winds
Brian N.

Eddie C

I'd try it. I had 2 medical coolers in my 165 in addition to the standard foam blocks. One on each side near the stern - without them I doubt that any part of my boat would have been above the surface. I also plan to fill the large cooler with old life jackets, seal it and secure it in place.