P21 Mast step deck plate stress cracks? Problem?

Started by eaglecreeksailor22, May 20, 2024, 07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglecreeksailor22

Hello all, I am looking to buy a 1988 P 21. When checking out the top side I noticed the mast step deck plate( may not be proper term) that is bolted to the cabin top has cracks radiating out from each of the four bolts, maybe 1-2 inches. I walked all over the area and found no soft spots. Is this an issue common or a result of not prober rig balance. I will look at other P21's and P23's on next trip to lake. Please add your thoughts.

eaglecreeksailor22

Sorry the above issue is the cracks are in the fiber glass raised area the plate mounts on. Got ahead of myself, need more coffee.

tjspiel

Quote from: eaglecreeksailor22 on May 20, 2024, 07:48 AMSorry the above issue is the cracks are in the fiber glass raised area the plate mounts on. Got ahead of myself, need more coffee.

In the gelcoat (spider cracks) or the fiberglass itself?

eaglecreeksailor22

Both spider and a couple bolt hole have cracked from hole outward about 1-2 inches. The fiber glass area the mast base plate is attached to on the cabin top is raised about 1 1/2 in during production molding. It still appears to be solid except for the cracks mentioned.

Brian N.

The mast base plate (tabernacle) should be only screwed in, not through bolted. If it was bolted that was not a Precision modification. As Tom asked, small spider cracks in the gel coat, or in the fiberglass? Spider cracks happen and usually mean nothing. Fiberglass cracks can indicate serious problems. Question - Does the P21 have a compression post under the mast step?
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riggerdood

I was about to ask the same question Brian. Cracks can also be a sign of rotten core under the step.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

tjspiel

Quote from: Brian N. on May 20, 2024, 05:25 PMThe mast base plate (tabernacle) should be only screwed in, not through bolted. If it was bolted that was not a Precision modification. As Tom asked, small spider cracks in the gel coat, or in the fiberglass? Spider cracks happen and usually mean nothing. Fiberglass cracks can indicate serious problems. Question - Does the P21 have a compression post under the mast step?

Yes, should be screws. I believe that's so the tabernacle will pull loose if the mast falls rather than damaging the deck underneath.

eaglecreeksailor22

A P21 does not have a compression post rather an arch type support. I will inspect closer regarding screws vs bolts. As well as look at other Precisions in the club. I did put my weight around the area and did not feel any movement. All 150 lbs of me, getting old and shrinking.

Sailor Sue

Assuming the construction of the P-21 is similar to that of the P-23, Precision used plywood under the mast step.  If the screws holding the mast step plate to the raised mast step area are/were not periodically re-bedded water can get into the substrate and rot out the plywood. Depending on the amount of rot the mast step can totally collapse.

This happened on our 23 requiring removal of all the mushy plywood and re-glassing the step area. I replaced the plywood with Ipe, a very dense, rot-resistant wood, and a 3/8th inch aluminum plate drilled and tapped to screw the mast step into.