P 165 main sail at full hoist

Started by eaglecreeksailor22, May 31, 2024, 10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglecreeksailor22

I have mentioned in other post that the inland lake I sail is known for fluky little puffs that will happen during 3-5 mph conditions that will cause my 165 to round up. I single hand and at 150 lbs I get tossed around easily. There is several P 18's  on this lake and I notice that their boom is much lower into the cock pit when fully hoisted. On my 165 at full hoist to the max top of the mast and the boom tensioned down ward the boom is just above the mast gate. My question is if I sail with the main sail 8-10 inches lower will that de power the main so I am not rounded up so often. My main is standard factory supplied. I know the old advice, keep one hand on the main sheet and one on the jib sheet, but who steers the boat?  Thanks in advance to all who reply. Rich

Riggerdood

Something is definitely amiss, because the boom should be below the feed slot. How old is the main? It's entirely possible that the luff rope has shrunk, not only effectively shortening the luff, but also making it impossible to flatten the sail. The good news is if that's the case, it's a relatively easy fix.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Brian N.

Hey Rich - Yea, something is going on, as Tim said the boom should be several inches below the slot in the mast. I'll describe how I setup the boom and main, and perhaps from that description you'll notice some anomaly.

1. Set gooseneck on boom into mast slot and let it rest below the slot.
2. Attach toping lift and adjust boom end to elbow height. It can be adjusted later after bending on the mainsail.
3. Rove mainsheet through blocks, keeping it very loose.
4. Feed mainsail foot onto boom, secure with tack pin through tack cringle, adjust outhaul and secure.
5. Feed head of mainsail up into mast slot about a foot or so, attach main halyard to sail head and tidy up with
   bungee around the sail and boom.
6. When I'm ready to raise the main, I pop off the bungee chords, and raise the main until the foot of the luff
   boltrope (tail) is ABOVE the mast slot. Ease the main halyard lowering the main while guiding the foot of the luff
   rope into the slot.
7. Secure the boom down haul line, and tension the main halyard according to wind.
8. Sheet in and enjoy the ride!

I also have noticed that if I am hard on the wind, the main might "bubble" at the top. Time to adjust heading, sheet tension and/or angle of attack.

The large main, smaller jib does have the effect of causing the boat to head up in a gust, but usually not noticeable until 10-12 knots. Think of it as a "safety"
Fair winds
Brian N.

eaglecreeksailor22

The sails were replaced 2018 and sailed lightly two seasons then the boat sat in dry storage lot till I purchased it in late 2022. I found the head sail tag it is a Rolly Tasker and all dimensions are standard 110%. I believe I have seen a Precision Sails patch on the main, it does have the standard P 165 emblem. The boat is in the water but I may take the main off and measure it. This the first loose footed mainsail I have ever sailed, I may have it to loose.

Thanks fellas,
Rich

eaglecreeksailor22

Brian, I read you detailed step by step mainsail set up, very informative. Is your mainsail at the very top of the mast before you secure the boom down haul? or do you secure the boom down haul below the mast slot to to allow room to adjust the main halyard tension upward.

Brian N.

Rich - the sail bags (if you have them) have a tag with the finished sail dimensions. I still have mine if you need them.
Loose footed sail might be a bit different.

I secure the boom downhaul line before giving the main halyard its final tension. I check that the luff boltrope tail is tucked in below the mast slot
Fair winds
Brian N.

Brian N.

You cannot view this attachment.

This pic might give you an idea of where my boom sits in the mast
Fair winds
Brian N.

eaglecreeksailor22

Hello Brian,

Went to the lake today and set the mast tensioned at the center of the mainsail halyard cleat. That measures 24"
from the bottom of the mast. Much easier not trying to get the last foot or so of hoist on the sail. Actually had  much better sail shape and the boat seemed to handle better. Very unusual weather for us today, high pressure steady wind from sw at 7-8 mph, perfect. One time I could tell it was building to about 9-10 and I was prepared not point up, eased the main and had a great ride. Thanks for your help, I feel more comfortable with the boat now. Now I want to try some club races, its been 30 yrs since I last raced and I can't remember the starting sequence, need a refresher. Take care.
Rich