First Post By Ramblin' Rod in a Long, Long Time.

Started by ramblinrod, Jun 12, 2024, 12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramblinrod

Hi All,

Just came to have a quick look and see a lot has changed.

My login took forever. I answered to: "Smokey Noisy Iron Wind On The Back", "Engine" (no bueno) "Motor" (no bueno), and finally "Outboard". (This after the I am not a robot text was illegible, and "hear it" function was unintelligible.

But I finally got in.

We launched our 38' trailer sailor for the season a few weeks ago, after having returned from a Lake Ontario to Bahamas (almost a full year) and back cruise last summer.

Had to retire the old Sea Furl 2, and put on a new forestay with Harken Ocean Type 1 this spring. Very nice design; installation was easy and quick.

Plan to replace the teak and holly cabin soul in the salon this summer. (Finished the forward hallway to V-berth, and put a fibreglass floor in the head (with shower install the boat never had as it was originally commissioned for club racing with limited cruising).

Kids are returning this fall from their Bahamas cruise this year on their CS36T. (They were supposed to come with us last year but sabbatticals got messed up and weren't sure if it would ever get straightened out.)

Flew down a couple months ago with luggage filled electronics/electrics to help them recover from a direct lightning strike while on a mooring. (7 other boats on moorings got hit in that same storm.)

We had already planned a visit, and got the call just 36 hours before our flight left.

Called in a favour with a regular vendor to open on a Sunday to load up my van.

Had them back up and running in 4 days; didn't miss a beat on their trip. (Other boats hit are still trying to get a surveyor aboard for initial damage inspection.) 

Insurance just paid out for initial invoices, final invoice to be issued in the fall after they are back home, hauled out, and mast unstepped.

Sailing life is an adventure.

It all started about 30 years ago with "Gosh I'd love to own a sailboat", and finding an Ensenada 20 "Serendipity" (that cost a lot less than my new furler for "Onalee").

If I can share one thing of value for newbies, "Baby Steps".

Over the years, I have seen way too many sailing dreams dashed by newbies, trying to take on too much too fast. Whether it be weather conditions, or projects that are beyond them.

Before you find yourself in 30 knots and 10 foot waves, be extremely proficient with every aspect of handling your boat in less, to the point where you will be confident, not panic stricken.

Before you find yourself attempting to perform structural fibreglass or electrical modifications, get yourself educated, trained, and proficient, so when you find yourself in 30 knots and 10 foot waves, everything stands up an works as it should, so you can continue to be confident you will get back to port safely.

(I had a solid education (EET) and experience (full time career) in electrical / electronic fields, and knowing what I know now, cringe at some of the work I did on our first boat. It worked, but as I tell folks now, making it work is only 10% of your responsibility and anyone can do it, making it work optimally, safely, and reliably so that you and your family can count on it with your lives, is the other 90%, and that takes education, training, and experience.)   

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Hi there, Rod!  Nice to see you again.  What is your current boat? 

ramblinrod

Hi Noemi,

"Onalee" is a 1985 Ontario 38, hull 4 of 4.

At the time, she was a brand new "performance cruiser" design by George Cuthbertson of C&C fame.

Unfortunately, this was when the sailboat industry in Canada was collapsing.

While Ontario Yachts still builds small sport sailboats, Onalee was the last 38 built.

She is a great sailing boat and pretty comfy.

We keep her at a winter storage yard that is a few miles from the marina so she gets trailered down the road twice a year, once for launch the the other for haulout.

At 14650 pounds and 5'6" draft she doesn't ramp launch well though. ;-)

Norm L.

Nice to hear from you Rod. And as always adding great information for readers from your career and sailing career.

All those boats with lightning strikes. Yikes, is the cleanest thing I can think of to cover the day or night it happened.

Captain Kidd

Sounds like you're having a great time with Onalee. I remember when you bought her. A nice looking vessel.  Our ownership of Mac 26's overlapped.

Thanks for checking in.