Sail until you find your home port.

Started by noelH, Jun 26, 2024, 04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelH

In town couple days ago I bumped into the husband of one our librarians.  I heard rumors that he lived on his boat for his first few years up here.  Like year round.  This is Lake Superior, not the Carbi. Asked him how he ended up in Bayfield. He just kept sailing from port to port on the Great Lakes until he came to Bayfield. Decided this was the town to drop anchor and call home.

His timing was good. Purchased a home before the recent "what H..." price surge.  Assuming you can even find a home for sale. Easily double the asking price from just before the Pandemic. From 2020 to 2021, the average actual selling price jumped +50%.  Reflects the median income increasing by over 50% in the same time period. I'm out of touch with local reality.

Sage S15
 Vela

Timm R Oday25

If I sailed until I found a home port.. I just might not ever stop ..

noelH

Quote from: Timm R Oday25 on Jun 27, 2024, 01:55 PMIf I sailed until I found a home port.. I just might not ever stop ..

Boats eventually sink. But I guess you could just find a replacement boat and keep sailing. Wonder how many will be "sunk" by Hurricane Beryl?

When was the last time Trinidad was under a Hurricane warning? Friend has family property down in Barbados. Generations ago it was significantly inland.  A decade or so ago had a nice location beachside. I think shoreline change might have been due to Tomas in '10. Grandparents were concerned about the next tropical storm serge.  Hurricane hit will total their home and probably extend the shoreline further inland.
Sage S15
 Vela

Norm L.

Barbados will be bad tho I haven't heard anything recent. Trinidad and Curacao are safe places but maybe some surge and waves. A friend who knows Curacao told me the main hurricane problem is that it stifles the Tradewinds and it gets still and miserably hot there.
Trinidad is known as a bargain spot for good boats. It is the end of the road for Caribbean cruisers, those who don't want to (or have had enough) to not sail back north and those who decide not to sail for Europe and walk away.
Chaguaramas is a harbor and has a field of cruiser's boats that were abandoned and/or put up for sale. Some nice some sad. I would guess there is a brokerage site.
i was at the Customs house dock when a couple came in for entrance. It was a sloppy landing and one of the mooring lines was snagged before the wife got it free for me to put it on a dock bit. I hoped it was just a one time problem as I wondered how they got this far.

The U.S. is good in this storm. I found an NOAA forecast of highs and lows for a week. There was a small mid south low but the rest of the country had big highs and this got stronger into this week to keep things south.