News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Finally on the move

Started by rfrance0718, Jul 11, 2024, 09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

I haven't sailed the Oday anywhere but its home base on Lake Erie since Covid. I was hoping to do the Bahamas last winter but I had hull/deck joint work to do. Now I'm planning to pull the boat out and tow it to northern Michigan in August, and I'm getting serious about it. The first chore was to line up a launch site. I needed a marina with a nearby ramp, transient docks, a place to store the trailer, and a place to park the truck. The first place I called, in Mackinaw City, answered all of those needs!

Next was to make some reservations at Mackinaw Island. Their marina is a busy place and we actually had to move our plans back a week to secure a couple of nights, no problem, maybe better.

Now I'm planning the rest of the trip. From Mackinaw City Tami and I will go to Mackinaw Island for 2 days, then head West, under the bridge, about 45 miles to Beaver Island. After that we'll have a couple of more days, maybe heading to Charlavoix. From there it would be a 55 mile sail back to Mackinaw City.

Tami only has a week to spare, so she's going to tow the empty trailer home, and I'll continue on. My plan is to sail through the North Channel for a week or so, and then sail down Lake Huron, the St. Clair River, Lake St. Clair, the Detroit River, and on across the Western Basin of Lake Erie to our home Marina.

I think that the whole trip will be about 700 miles. Tami and I'll log about 150 the first week, so about 550 after she departs. This will be my 3rd excursion in the North Channel, so I'm familiar with that part. I'll probably spend a week there. The trip down Lake Huron will be 2 or 3 hops. Then the trip from Port Huron, down the rivers, and through Detroit is familiar. I can get a dock at Port Huron YC, and at Crescent Sail YC on Lake St. Clair.  So the trip from the North Channel should take about 5 days, plus any weather delays.

With the repaired deck joint, new cabin cushions, and a new jib, the boat has been upgraded and is ready for such atrip.

You cannot view this attachment.

Norm L.

What a fantastic adventure. A Great Lakes Mini-Loop.
It looks like you will have some options. Wind and weather won't always agree with your plan. But I hope it does.

I hope you will be keeping in touch with us so we can follow your progress.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Sounds like a great plan!  (the city is Mackinaw, but the island is Mackinac, though both are pronounced the same!)

rfrance0718

I gave up on trying to keepthat straight long ago.

rfrance0718

I've left extra time to allow for weather. Tami and I can skip Charlevoix and then I'll have lots of leeway for the rest of the trip. Most stuff seems to come in 2 day events. Famous last words.

Doug SC

Post photos and trip report. Sounds like a great adventure.

Timm R Oday25

We just got back from Mackinac Island . Initially it was supposed to be shipwreck dive trip .
The whole time we were there I kept thinking , boy this place would be greeat to bring the boat.
We watched a You Tube video by a guy Named The Restless Viking who explored Beaver Island .
Sure sounds like a great place to visit.
Please post photos.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

My then partner and I were once invited to attend a "destination" wedding held on Mackinac Island.  We took my boat, both to avoid expensive hotel costs and for the adventure.  It turned out to be QUITE an adventure, including engine failure in low, shifty winds with many ferry boats going the same place we were, a too-exciting docking without that engine, a theft from a bicycle, a tow vehicle disappearance, and hitting a concrete bollard at a gas station.  But it was still a great vacation. 

I've only been on Beaver Island overnight.  But (on another trip) spent 3 days anchored off of Garden Island, which is quite near Beaver.  That was sweet and quiet.  That's where I found my boat's name, Anungoday.