Mooring problem... lines are getting tangled.

Started by Tollerowner, Jul 15, 2024, 05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tollerowner

I have a Precision P15K that I have kept moored for about 6 years.  I have a swivel about a foot below my buoy.  The buoy has the chain going through it to a shackle.  Then I have three lines going to cleats on either side of the boat and the bow eye. 
Until this year everything has been fine, but now the 3 lines are getting twisted around each other.  What's worse, I have metal thimbles inside the eyes  and they are rubbing against the other lines and damaging them.  As I said, the prior 3 years nothing twisted and nothing got damaged.
I sailed yesterday, and today the 3 lines are twisted.  I thought perhaps the boat was rotating around the buoy, but not much has happened since yesterday.

Any idea what is going on?
Do I need the thimbles?  Without them, at least the lines wouldn't be damaging each other.
Would it help to replace the shackle with another swivel?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jeff G.

I always used a bridle, each end on the front cleats and a line from the bow eye. The bridle was the primary. Bow line was a little longer with a float on it.  With it being stiff do to the pool noodle, it kind of acts like a stand off from the buoy and a backup line if the bridle would fail.

Spot

At school on the sailboats, we run a line spliced to the center cleat through a bow cleat, through the loop on the mooring, back through the other bow cleat and then cleated off to the center cleat. This is working in wind and tide. I cannot comment on what is going on for swivels, etc. but I could ask.
Big dreams, small boats...