I'm a septuagenarian, oh well.

Started by rfrance0718, Jul 19, 2024, 08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

Yesterday I spent my 70th birthday doing what I've done for most of the previous 25. I was at South Bass Island, on Lake Erie, coaching junior sailors at the ILYA Junior Championships. Today was the 5th and last day of the event. There were about 100 kids, ages 13 to 18, sailing 420s and Lasers. We had 10 kids on our team this year and they made us very proud. In the end, 6 of our teams went home with hardware, and I teared up a bit when Emerson won the trophy for top female finish, overall. It was a great a fantastic week with the kids, parents, and the other coaches.You cannot view this attachment.

Wolverine

1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Timm R Oday25

Heck yeah that's a great way to celebrate a birthday.. Good on you !

Captain Kidd

Happy birthday! Fantastic celebration!

Krusen

Happy birthday, young fellow!

Recently celebrated 90th, and envy you for your youth and vitality.

Give my congratulations to Emerson, winning in a competitive sport is a mental and physical challenge.  I have raced on sailboats since 1959, with the last race just before Covid.

Norman

Doug SC

It sounds like a birthday to remember! Welcome to your 70th trip around the sun... :o  ;D

Norm L.

Bob, that is a great way to celebrate and make it a double special day. I also know how proud you are of her. On this path she is going to become a name.

rfrance0718

I'm aware that many of you outrank me on the age scale, as do many of my best sailing buddies. It's a wonderful sport, where one can keep going, and keep loving the sport. You all serve as models for my future. Thanks for all of the encouragement.