News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Hey, Charles Brennan

Started by Wayne Howard, Aug 04, 2024, 11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Howard

Let us know how y'all came through the visit from Debby.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Riley Smith

I've been wondering but suspect he is sort of busy. I'm really glad I haven't had to deal with that YET this year, being limited to picking up a coffee cup.
Riley

Charles Brennan

Coming back from Tennessee (baby sister's funeral), currently south of Atlanta.  Expect to be home in time to get everything secured. Will keep everyone updated as circumstances permit.

Thanks for the concern,
Charles Brennan

Wolverine

Sorry for your loss Charles.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Riley Smith

I'm sorry to hear that CB. Good luck with the storm. Can anyone explain to me why hurricanes hit at night? The only one I can remember over all those years that hit in the daylight was Katrina. And good thing too....the toll would have been much more in the dark.
Riley

Spot

Also sorry to hear this news too CB.
Big dreams, small boats...

Roland of Macatawa

Hi, Charles:
Condolences to you and yours.
Regards, Roland
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

Doug SC

Charles Brennan

The Optimist fell 10 stories,
And at each window bar.
He shouted to the folks inside:
"Doin' all right, so far! ;D

Early yet, but yeah, me too.

Several large branches down, back yard rain water puddled up to the shed but not as far as the back porch, though after another 8 to 10 hours, it may be a different story.

Due to exigent circumstances, (out of state funeral) I've been really caught with my pants down, this time.  Was hoping to get back home just ahead of the first feeder bands, but a couple semis doing an impromptu line dance on I-75 and severely trashing traffic flow, put a kibosh to that idea.
Will have to re-evaluate in the morning and see what I can get done in between feeder bands.

As bad as this is, when compared to Andrew, August '92, when I was forced to board up my Aunt's home, travel an hour and a half south, board up my Grandmother's home, then 45 minutes north to board up my Mother's home, then another 30 minutes north to be the very last guy in the neighborhood to board up his own home (and entrapping himself inside, with a now-livid wife) . . . . well, I've had it worse!  :o

More as things transpire . . . . .
Charles Brennan

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Charles, I'm very sorry to hear about your sister. 

Noemi

Charles Brennan

I was struck by all the condolences I received over the weekend, when mentioning in passing about attending a funeral, as to why I hadn't responded to posts inquiring about Hurricane Debbie.

I was indeed in Tennessee, attending the funeral of my baby sister, Susan Jane Hyatt.
My Mom, (ever the over-achiever) had her three children roughly 18 months apart.
Bang, bang, bang, and done!  :o
17 months between me and my middle sister, Pat, and 18 months to the day (Nov 5 to May 5) between my middle sister and baby sister, Sue.
In the 6  weeks between Sue's birthday and my own we're all (numerically, at least) a year apart.

She started smoking before she was a teen and after close to 60 years as a 2 pack-a-day smoker, 7 strokes and 4 heart attacks in recent years, were hardly a surprise.
So while sad, none of this was any great surprise to our family.

Here she is at right, with her husband (now deceased) and the boy in the middle (also deceased) and my surviving niece and nephew back in the early 80's.
You cannot view this attachment.

Here she is this past July 4th:

Me and the middle sister at Sue's funeral:

I just felt, that if everyone was going to send condolences, they should know a little about who they were expressing thoughts and prayers for.
Thank you all, so much, I appreciate it; was spending so much time being brave and stalwart for everyone else, I really had little time to grieve, myself.  All your well wishes helped more than you know.

Charles Brennan

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Our thoughts and prayers are mostly for YOU, friend.  But her too.

Wayne Howard

Losing a sibling is tough, Charles. You have my sincere condolences. I lost my brother to cancer in 2010 coming home from BEER. He had called me from the hospital when he was admitted and said to go sailing cuz he would be fine in a week. And then he wasn't fine.

PSA to the whole TSBB: "Hug your loved ones TODAY and tell them that you love them cuz tomorrow is not guaranteed."
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Captain Kidd

Sorry, Charles. Just seeing this. Very sorry for your loss. I'm the oldest of five and we're all still hanging on, so haven't crossed that bridge yet (though we have suffered other losses). We live in 4 different states but try to stay in touch. Trust that good memories will help you through. Saying a prayer.

Where in TN did she live?

Charles Brennan

Dale, Thank you for your kind words.
She lived in Sneedville, Tennessee, the only city in Hancock County; named for William Henry Sneed, a Confederate attorney from Knoxville who defended creation of the county in 1840, from existing residents who apparently wanted to keep calling it Greasy Rock.
Her husband owned property deeded to his ancestor, as payment for his service in the Revolutionary War.
Showed the deed to me, once.
Had things in it like: "From the promontory overlooking the river (before it was named: Clinch River) to the valley and then to the ridge and back to the river."
He worried that the ink was fading so badly on the parchment, that he might not be able to prove ownership in the future and he commissioned surveyors to re-survey and re-file with the courthouse.

Sneedville is soooo far up the mountain, that they used to get their mail trucked in from Blackwater, West Virginia rather than brave "Bloody 25" a fairly treacherous highway that wasn't tamed until 1980, when it was four-laned and designated as Hwy 25E.

Hope this clarifies,
Charles Brennan