Potable Water and Gray Water in a 'dry' Boat

Started by Spot, Aug 26, 2024, 11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spot

Working on the Luger 21.
Galley cabinet sides and face frames are in, countertops are being varnished
Assets: New cabinet, old Vollrath sink, old single-action Attwood Pump w/ 3/8" ID tubing barb (works)
Liabilities: no tankage nor tubing, boat cannot discharge through old through-hull, old through hull

Wondering what people would do for holding potable and gray water in this situation.
Thanks in Advance!

You cannot view this attachment.
Big dreams, small boats...

Riley Smith

Spot, I'm definitely no expert on cruising amenities, but I'd put the potable storage under the sink to allow easy access and minimal connections. It would be easy to access when it invariably develops a problem and that space is going to have piping there anyway because of the drain. You're on your own with the grey water storage!
Riley

Spot

Thanks Riley.
The sink's depth is going to make that space awkward too.
I went to attach the counter tops to check that off the list and then realized that I needed to sand and touch up the tabbing before I attach and caulk them to the cabinets. Something to go after in the morning...

pgandw

Thankfully, my Mariner 19 doesn't have a galley in the cabin.  I use 1 gal water jugs for fresh water on either side of the CB trunk under the cockpit.  6-8 gal stores easily there.  On my previous ODay 25, I had a 15 gal water tank, but the hand pump at the sink was useless.  Replaced the hand pump with a foot pump and was much happier.

But the small sinks are useless for washing dishes anyway.  I use 2 plastic dish tubs in the cockpit, one for washing, the other with a dish rack for rinsing (I use hot water poured from a stove top coffee or tea pot for rinsing) and drying.

Similarly, I never want to use a stove in a cabin again, only in the cockpit.  The alcohol stove that came with the ODay 25 was also useless, so switched to a 2 burner propane camp stove, mounted on a piece of plywood for storage in the cabin.  On the smaller Mariner, a one burner butane camp stove works fine.

Both boats work just fine with cassette toilets.  I like the KISS principle for cruising (and camping).

just my experiences and opinions
Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Spot

Thanks Fred. The sink happens to be from a factory in my home town and the owner of that company is a supporter of small boat sailing so it seems (pun alert) fitting for me to put it back.

I bought both a drain plug and some PVC hose to plum the pump.
The drain plug is not the size advertised so back to the store it goes.

Q: Why is it that 'potable' plastic water tubing still stinks of chemicals and has a Prop 65 warning? Wouldn't either condition make it non-potable?

I am also having some issues with my Helmsman Spar Urethane. It turned out great on my nice pine face frames but I am having trouble getting it to settle down over plywood, coating in the same place in the garage, only a week apart. I am blocking with 220 and tacking off with SPECS thinner and I still get bits of stuff and pinholes at about one defect per square inch. Last coat I filtered the coating and got out my best brush and still had the phenomena. A friend of mine calls stuff like this 'imperfectly perfect' and it does look OK at an angle but...I was wanting better. Last night I was OK to leave it, now I am wondering about giving another college try.

Spot

Forward progress has been made. Tabbing is sanded and painted, Countertops are installed using silicon bronze screws recovered from a 1940's Herreshoff 12 1/2 that I helped work on over the summer and latex caulking, so they can be removed if needed. Fresh water is plumbed and working. No solution for gray water other than an ice cream bucket...