Sailing at over age 80 is still being done by one of the old TSBBers.

Started by Norm L., May 16, 2023, 08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm L.

I keep in touch with John Votaw once or twice a year and ask him about his father Travis. Travis is still sailing and will be 87 in August. Although John says the labor is overtaking the enjoyment.
They will be going down to Matagorda for a few days to be there when the Texas 200 fleet comes in.

I'm pleased to hear that as Travis and his family are, as they say, good people. Travis and wife now live near John in Seabrook, TX. I didn't ask but John may still have a big sailboat possibly keeping it there in Kemah.

Many years ago John got a 40 footish sailboat, loaded it with his family and medical and other supplies and sailed to Haiti as part of a church project, and spent many months in the Islands.

Timm R Oday25

That is most excellant to hear. I'm not quite sure I'll be on the water at that age.. Doesn't mean I'm not going to try .

Noemi - Ensenada 20

I'm so glad Travis is still around, and still sailing.  Good for him!

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Norm L. on May 16, 2023, 08:58 AMI keep in touch with John Votaw once or twice a year and ask him about his father Travis. Travis is still sailing and will be 87 in August. Although John says the labor is overtaking the enjoyment.
They will be going down to Matagorda for a few days to be there when the Texas 200 fleet comes in.

I'm pleased to hear that as Travis and his family are, as they say, good people. Travis and wife now live near John in Seabrook, TX. I didn't ask but John may still have a big sailboat possibly keeping it there in Kemah.

Many years ago John got a 40 footish sailboat, loaded it with his family and medical and other supplies and sailed to Haiti as part of a church project, and spent many months in the Islands.

I remember their missionary work well. Was always impressed that they would use sailing in such an endeavor. Glad Travis is still active. I can't imagine doing what I do now 20 years from now!!!

Is he still sailing Pilgrim?

Charliej

I built Pilgrim for Travis.  He traded her to Bobby Chilek for  a smaller boat. Hopefully he still sails her :)

I hope to be able to sail Necessity again soon. I'm 82 

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Charliej on May 17, 2023, 09:27 AMI built Pilgrim for Travis.  He traded her to Bobby Chilek for  a smaller boat. Hopefully he still sails her :)

I hope to be able to sail Necessity again soon. I'm 82 

Charlie, I hope you can sail again too!!!

Krusen

I enjoyed Travis and Pilgrim posts.  Never met him, but sure that I would like him.

On the age thing, I am now 89, and last year, I went sailing on a friends boat, so still doing it.  And it is still fun, but when the wind gets up, a lot more tiring!  :)  Short jaunt out of a tributary of the Potomac, into the Chesapeake Bay, and into another small tributary.

The owner could spot buoys about twice as far away as I can now.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Krusen on May 18, 2023, 02:12 PMI enjoyed Travis and Pilgrim posts.  Never met him, but sure that I would like him.

On the age thing, I am now 89, and last year, I went sailing on a friends boat, so still doing it.  And it is still fun, but when the wind gets up, a lot more tiring!  :)  Short jaunt out of a tributary of the Potomac, into the Chesapeake Bay, and into another small tributary.

The owner could spot buoys about twice as far away as I can now.

Amazing! Good for you. I was just figuring yesterday that it has been 4 years since our trip. Time flies.

Krusen

Captain Kidd said:

Amazing! Good for you. I was just figuring yesterday that it has been 4 years since our trip. Time flies.
[/quote]

I had just turned 85 that cruise.  Wide variety of fun then, from simply drifting with a tidal flow, no wind, to bending the tiller on a broad reach.  Really a lot of sailing considering we were in a canal type environment. 

Crossing the inlets had some challenges, but your fully detailed data on tidal flows and prime times to cross converted potential challenges into simple magnetic headings until the next buoy was found and passed.  My little hand held GPS proved to be a rarely used plan B.

For an April cruise, committed to be at a specific date, we had unusually fine weather  ;D , and after the first night, we found relatively bug free anchorages  :).

That was exactly the type of cruising that I particularly enjoy.

Thanks again for accepting my offer to make the cruise with you.

Krusen, the name is my game  :)

Norm L.

Travis is still sailing his Bay River Skiff, a smaller version of PILGRIM. John has no boat but he has "The Itch" for something 30-40'.

Captain Kidd

QuoteThanks again for accepting my offer to make the cruise with you.

Krusen, the name is my game

Norm, you are very welcome. The trip was a highlight of my "sailing career".

Captain Kidd

BTW: here's a great picture of a fine crewman!

Jekyll Island Marina, day 2 of our trip and lunch was enjoyed by all!