News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

ONE BIG GIANT THREAD

Started by CapnK, Feb 02, 2023, 08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

Some may have trouble finding the new site. Google search is not turning it up easily. Might want to let your friends know via other avenues. Site address trailersailor.com/forum/

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Just trailersailor.com will get you to the home page now.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

I have sad news to report.  Leroy Beeby, who lives in Montana and was once a regular poster here, has passed away.  I do not know much more than that.  His wife, MC, died a few years ago. 

I had the pleasure of meeting Leroy in person when my friend Vivian and I made a trip to Glacier National Park.  He was a sweet person.  I'm sad he's gone.

Tim West Coast

Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Apr 07, 2023, 06:34 PMI have sad news to report.  Leroy Beeby, who lives in Montana and was once a regular poster here, has passed away.  I do not know much more than that.  His wife, MC, died a few years ago. 

I had the pleasure of meeting Leroy in person when my friend Vivian and I made a trip to Glacier National Park.  He was a sweet person.  I'm sad he's gone.

So sorry to hear that, I remember him and his wit well, enjoyed his posts. 

tbodine88

Ahoy

its nice to have a place to read about and talk about trailer sailors.

happy spring
Thomas Bodine
Skipper S/V Bagatelle (Nimble Artic 26)
Skipper S/V Frimi (West Wight Potter 19)

Doug SC

Glad to hear you were able to get out on the water. Sounds like a productive time. Your photos didn't show up. Here's the process step by step.

I resize mine to the smallest size before loading and inserting them into a post.

I click on the "Attachments and other options" button.

Then I drag and drop my photos into the "ADD FILES" box.

A thumbnail of the photo will show in the box with both CANCEL and UPLOAD buttons. Click on UPLOAD.

The box with the photo will change color from white to green and has DELETE and INSERT buttons. Click on INSERT.

I paddled my solo canoe with 3 other friends in kayaks 12 miles down the Saluda River on Wednesday. Bill and I came in 5th out of 14 in last Saturday's race. The weather is comfortable and kept us busy doing spring flower plantings.

That's great news that your back is doing well.

You cannot view this attachment.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Glad to see both you gents got out on the water. 

Captain Kidd

Thanks, Noemi and Doug. And enjoyed your pics, Doug.

Try my post now. I changed the setting on my photo album.

Charles Brennan

Captain Kidd, on your home computer's router is a thing called NAT (Network Address Translation). This is done by your internet provider and keeps Bad Guys from knowing who, or where you are.  This also keeps files (like pics) on your computer from  being published to the internet.  So (for example) just adding a url such as: dale'scomputer/pics/sailboatpics/04202023145312.jpg will not be resolved in the TSBB posting software and will display that error symbol we are all seeing.

Photo album services that let you share your pics with friends and family, only let you see them when viewing them on the photo album website.  They won't allow posting their url to a foreign web site either.
You pretty much have to add and upload like Doug SC explained in a previous post.

Hope this clarifies,
Charles Brennan

Captain Kidd

A couple of comments. It seems the "quick reply" does not have the "attachments and other options" button. I was using the "quick reply" option. I clicked "insert image", added the address and inserted. I gave permission to my photo hosting site (google) to show pictures to anyone who has the address. Furthermore, the pics show up in preview and on my computer when viewing the actual post after posting. So I don't know why that option isn't working for all. But I'll redo the post using the simple "reply" option.

Edit: one more thing - when I attempt to drag and drop photos, they open in a new window. Go figure.....

Captain Kidd

After two and a half months I got back on the water!

That time was obviously taken to give my back time to heal from the herniated disc. I had read that it takes 4-6 weeks to heal from this injury. I slept in a recliner for five weeks. I gradually began to do harder tasks. In the last several weeks I have done quite a bit especially yard work and a project on Robin's car all the while taking care to not stress the back. It has felt good through it all.

I have been looking for an opportunity to get out for a couple weeks. The wind has been fairly strong many of those days, in the 12-15 mph range. That's a little more than I want right now. I still don't know this boat very well with only two outings in very, very light wind. Tuesday afternoon looked very promising but the winds were around 10 mph and my time slipped away too. So Wednesday it was. I had a doctor's appointment at 8:30 so I hitched up the boat and got some things together the night before and took off to the doc's with boat in tow.
Nothing stupendous to report from this outing but there were several take-aways.

First of all, there was a lot of "trash" in the boat when I took the tarp off. Here's what I found.

This has me quite concerned. I've had problems with carpenter ants on my other boat and am wondering if ants have gotten into this boat already. Some of it is just debris that has blown in under the tarp. Looks closely and you'll see a stick.

I'm thinking squirrels may be partly responsible too. But then there is this critter:

I'm thinking this culprit is partly to blame - an earwig. The reproduce proliferately and molt a lot. In any case, I'll be keeping a close watch on the situation.

Second of all, there seemed to be water in the bottom of the boat. Ummm? Well, I sopped up the worst of it before I left. I stopped for breakfast and there seemed to be more! What is this? When I got to the ramp more of the same. Something made me open the lazarette. What! The thing was 2/3 full of water!!!!

Where did that come from? Has it been there since my last trip? Has rain water somehow gotten in? Quite puzzling. I scooped it out and wiped it out. I looked a couple times while out on the water. About the only place water could be getting in would be through the gudgeon bolt holes. I didn't see anything. I've just about concluded that rain water somehow blew in under the tarp. But still puzzling.

Third take away, I was eager to see how much easier, if any, the new block at my masthead would make raising the mainsail. I had lashed it to the fairlead. Answer: it was a thousand times easier! During the course of my outing yesterday I raised the mainsail three or four times. It works wonderfully. I lose 2 or 3" of height in my sail but I can live with that.

Fourth, I practiced rowing. The wind never filled in so I really didn't sail at all. But I did row - 2-3 miles overall I guess. I got into a pretty good rhythm. With my leather reglued and reattached (it came loose last time out), my oars stayed in place and I was able to concentrate on technique. I do believe I need to work on shaping my grip on one of the oars. One oar is very round. The other is not. I'll work on it some.

Fifth, I tested a simple setup for oar storage. I kept the oars in the locks and secured the oar with two bungees. Not very elegant, but it works. I'll keep other options open.

So that's my outing. No sailing but profitable nonetheless.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Such a pretty boat, Dale!

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Apr 22, 2023, 12:13 PMSuch a pretty boat, Dale!

Thank you. I'm very pleased with out she turned out. A fellow stopped at the ramp on Wednesday while I was taking down the boat to head for home and he asked, "What year is it?" I was a little surprised, not at the attention but the question. I answered "2022, just finished building her."

CapnK

Wow, Dale - pretty, pretty! Nice job!!! She would look not at all out of place here in G-town for the Annual Wooden Boat Show, which exhibits much such excellence for the rest of us (who are simple wood butchers) to drool over. :)

Also - Glad to see you got the image attachyments figglered out! ;)

Captain Kidd

Quote from: CapnK on Apr 24, 2023, 08:11 PMWow, Dale - pretty, pretty! Nice job!!! She would look not at all out of place here in G-town for the Annual Wooden Boat Show, which exhibits much such excellence for the rest of us (who are simple wood butchers) to drool over. :)

Thanks, Kurt. She's a nice 5-10' boat. LOL.

I'm a lot closer to you than Mystic or Port Townsend. Maybe 500 miles. I'll have to give that boat show some thought.